Hydrogen batteries soon a reality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vmistery, Aug 22, 2015.

1. vmistery, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015

vmistery macrumors 6502a

Hi All,

I was casually reading the news this morning and saw that a company has developed a hydrogen battery they have retrofitted to an iPhone. Big news is it lasts a week on a charge so clearly a big thing if it works. Is this some thing MacRumors fancies looking into a bit more to see if it is possibly upcoming either for the 7 or 7s? Any one got any thoughts?! Sounds amazing to me as I burn through battery life.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...will-charge-your-Apple-iPhone-for-a-week.html

2. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Sounds very interesting. But I noticed this in the article:

Although it would be cool to have a week-long charge, it sounds like that under this current implantation, the battery is essentially disposable. I mean technically the actual battery is rechargeable, but what good does that do if you need to buy "batteries for the battery"? Unless these cartridges were very cheap, I don't think this would work well.

3. vmistery thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah yes that would be a big downer. I wonder if you could recharge it via a tank like their prototype rather than expensive sounding cartridges. Still a faff though. I wonder if as the article alludes Apple really are looking at it for this purpose.

4. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I highly doubt this specific technology would ever make it into an iPhone, or any phone for that matter. But, this could be the precursor to a future battery-charging technology that we will see later on. Too early to tell at this point, but it would be awesome if Apple became a leader in battery tech instead of always falling behind with these rather small battery lives.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Despite how such articles are written to make it sound like such developments are just around the corner, I think there's still a long way to go before this technology can be practically applied to a mobile device. Maybe the 12 or 12s. ;)

6. vmistery thread starter macrumors 6502a

And I got so excited there for a minute! I really would like an extended battery life

7. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

While I embrace new technology is there really a need for a week long battery? In my opinion I would rather charge overnight than have to swap out a component weekly.

8. vmistery thread starter macrumors 6502a

For me as someone who travels extensively it would be a godsend to have a proper 3 day or better battery life. I burn through my battery in under a day as it is as it has to act as my hotpot. Id prefer it to be a normal charging mechanism but If it was a simple cartridge system where you got them refilled at a supermarket when doing your shopping I'd much prefer doing it that way than charging it every night. Get a couple of spare cartridges (assuming we are talking £10-£15) and I don't think anyone would have an issue.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sounds like it is a way down the road and we would see it in other devices before Apple adopted it.

10. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Fair enough. £10-15 seems a bit expensive in my opinion but I also live in a city where they have free charging stations all over the place. I also typically carry around a portable charger that allows me to charge from 0-100% 3 times before it needs to be recharged.

11. cynics macrumors G3

That sounds convenient?

12. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Wouldn't one of these also make the phone lighter? Think balloons.

13. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

It's pretty common here when you're eating to also plug in your phone to charge it at restaurants. So for most people it is convenient.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Where is that common thing, out of curiosity?

15. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Its in Portland, Oregon. Most of the places I frequent will charge your phone for you or will allow you to plug in for free while you are eating. And then throughout the city there are charging stations.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Interesting, haven't seen it being all that common around California. Certainly some Starbucks and a few other cafes and places of that nature, but far far from many places beyond that.

17. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Gotcha. Yeah Portland is an interesting city. I'm also from California and I haven't seen much of that there. But in Portland it's a common thing.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'd still say as convenient it might be to be able to charge whenever/wherever, it's still a ways off from the convenience of not needing to worry about charging for, let's say, a number of days.

19. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I completely agree it's not as convenient as a battery that would last for days. But I'm not sure I would want something that requires me to replace cartridges of some sort. If they could get a battery that could last for days or weeks while allowing me to recharge it as needed then I would definitely be interested.

20. vmistery thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd rather have a battery as there is plenty of battery charging infrastructure around and none for hydrogen! Personally I'd not really mind replacing a cartridge though if I was getting a big benefit from it, how hard could it be?

On my travels I haven't seen that many places that do this, depends where you go. My main issue is that with heavy usage I don't really get a day and I really don't want to be searching for a charging place in an unfamiliar city where I can't speak the language. At the moment I ust carry around an extra device to charge the phone from but it isn't a particularly elegant solution.

21. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

It would be great, but you can look back to 2010, 2005, or even 2000 and see articles talking about brand new battery tech that will revolutionize mobile devices, yet not a whole lot has changed. Sure battery tech has improved, but it seems to be at a pretty similar pace as manufacturers cram more and more into said devices, so we don't notice the battery life getting much better from year to year.