Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Here's my $.02

Given the level of hype and build up, no product announced today could have lived up to the excitement generated.

This happens all the time with apple events. People work themselves up in a lather about it. Rumors are swirling (some true, some not) of what it may or may not be.

So by the time the even occurs, its anti-climatic.

Personally, I've question the wisdom of a tablet computer, well before apple announced theres and when the media event was announced, I voiced my concern there.

Many companies tried to do a tablet pc and failed. Apple is taking a different tack by not using a desktop OS, but a phone os. Not a bad idea but its severely limits what you can do, i.e., not run osx programs.

These discussion will be made continually until we actually can get the ipad in our hands, and then and only then people will determine if its a success or failure, by voting with their wallets.

The G4 cube was lauded for its design, and bold approach, but in the end it was a failure. While people loved it, and basically said it was a work of art, few people wanted spend the 1200+ bucks for it. We'll have to wait and see how the ipad fairs.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
Here's my $.02

Given the level of hype and build up, no product announced today could have lived up to the excitement generated.

This happens all the time with apple events. People work themselves up in a lather about it. Rumors are swirling (some true, some not) of what it may or may not be.

So by the time the even occurs, its anti-climatic.

Personally, I've question the wisdom of a tablet computer, well before apple announced theres and when the media event was announced, I voiced my concern there.

Many companies tried to do a tablet pc and failed. Apple is taking a different tack by not using a desktop OS, but a phone os. Not a bad idea but its severely limits what you can do, i.e., not run osx programs.

These discussion will be made continually until we actually can get the ipad in our hands, and then and only then people will determine if its a success or failure, by voting with their wallets.

The G4 cube was lauded for its design, and bold approach, but in the end it was a failure. While people loved it, and basically said it was a work of art, few people wanted spend the 1200+ bucks for it. We'll have to wait and see how the ipad fairs.

I think that other mfgrs have all breathed a collective sigh of relief at what the iPad CAN'T do. It can't run Windows, OSX, or even Linux, for crap sakes! Golden opportunity MISSED, Cupertino!

Shouldn't we turn Jobs famous phrase about "blu ray is a big bag of hurt" around on him? How about, "The iPad is a big bag of hurt without multitasking and true computer OS" Works for me...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I think that other mfgrs have all breathed a collective sigh of relief at what the iPad CAN'T do. It can't run Windows, OSX, or even Linux, for crap sakes! Golden opportunity MISSED, Cupertino!
Agreed, and that's probably the biggest reason why I'll probably pass on this. I'd want the ability to run OSX. It is a tactical decision by apple, because they probably perceived the failure of other tablets because of trying to shoehorn a desktop OS onto a tablet computer. Whether this decision is a wise one, only time will tell.

iPad = iFail = iPass

No multitasking, no harddrive space, no flash, no USB
Given your username, I'd be surprised by any other post. I'll agree with you on flash however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.