Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular accessory brand Hyper has announced the launch of its new "HyperDrive Next" product lineup with a variety of connectivity solutions that embrace the latest standards while focusing on the use of recycled materials.

The largest portion of the lineup is a series of USB-C hubs that include USB 3.2 support, SD 4.0 card slots with up to 312 Mbps transfer speeds, and Power Delivery 3.1 support with up to 140 watts of passthrough power available on select models.

hyperdrive-next-dua-4k-7-port-hub.jpg
Dual 4K HDMI 7 Port USB-C Hub

The hub likely of most interest to Mac users is the HyperDrive Next Dual 4K HDMI 7 Port USB-C Hub, which unsurprisingly includes dual 4K monitor support for M1 and M2 families of MacBooks via HDMI (one at 60Hz and one at 30Hz), as well as a pair of 10 Gbps USB ports, a 10 Gbps USB-A port, a 3.5mm combo audio jack, and 100 watts of passthrough power. It's priced at $149.99.

hyperdrive-next-ssd-enclosure.jpg
USB4 NVMe SSD Enclosure

Another member of the HyperDrive Next family is the new USB4 NVMe SSD Enclosure, which offers support for M.2 NVMe SSDs up to 16TB with transfer speeds up to 40 Gbps. Built with 100% recycled aluminum, the enclosure carries an IP55 rating for water and dust resistance and is priced at $119.99. You'll of course need to supply your own SSD for the enclosure, but with a snap-in design, no tools are required.

hyperdrive-next-10-port-usb-c-dock.jpg
10 Port Business Class USB-C Dock

Finally, users with more demanding needs may be interested in the HyperDrive Next 10 Port Business Class USB-C Dock. It includes support for dual 4K displays across PCs, Macs, and Chromebooks with two HDMI ports (1 60Hz, 1 30Hz), plus 10 Gbps USB ports (two USB-C and one USB-A), and an additional 100-watt USB-C charging port. There are also a Gigabit Ethernet port, a 3.5mm combo audio jack, an SD 4.0 card slot, a detachable USB-C cable that snaps into the side of the dock for travel, and slots for both Targus and Kensington locks, all in a slim design for $199.99.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Hyper. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Hyper Debuts 'HyperDrive Next' Line of Hubs and Other Accessories

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Wait, no mention of even faster spontaneous combustion in the feature set? Come on, I want some innovation.

My last Hyper AC adapter made a full three days before arcing, sparking, and blowing up in the wall. Good thing I was home, although it’d have likely snuffed itself out because, you know, electrical code and proper design and not keeping combustibles near outlets/heat sources, so I don’t mean to be dramatic about this (and anything with excited electrons has some risk and things do fail), but they have a star studded history of really poor build quality where it really matters (e.g. not just poor fit and finish, but really poor isolation where it matters for safety).

Will never buy another Hyper. Ever. I don’t care who has bought them and what they claim to have changed. Not because companies and products can’t recover from stuff like this, but their utter lack of transparency and taking this seriously is deeply troubling.

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005
I shouldn’t be, but honestly I have soured on a lot of the Hyper line in the past couple years. Defects, performance not in line with stated expectations or specifications. These hubs are probably all fine, but I’m a much more cautious buyer of their products at the moment.

This is across product lines. Batteries, hubs and chargers.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
As the owner of a new 15" MBA, I am looking for a dongle that includes at least HDMI, USB-A, and SD. Additional USB-C ports would not be frowned upon. Any recos from the peanut gallery on such, or similar, dongles?

Related: and not an inquiry for myself (as I prefer the single external), dual external display support for MBAs... I have seen several solutions. Any recos on adding that functionality?

Cheers.

GadgetVirtuoso

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2018
Fort Worth, YX
As the owner of a new 15" MBA, I am looking for a dongle that includes at least HDMI, USB-A, and SD. Additional USB-C ports would not be frowned upon. Any recos from the peanut gallery on such, or similar, dongles?

Related: and not an inquiry for myself (as I prefer the single external), dual external display support for MBAs... I have seen several solutions. Any recos on adding that functionality?

Cheers.
Just buy one of the Anker docks, like Anker USB C Hub 553 USB-C Hub, MBA can't support 2 monitors so you'd be wasting your money on something like this.

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL

Cheers.
There are a bunch of docks out there that offer DisplayLink capability; I use these for my M1 MacBook Air I use at work. I have a NewQ for Mac dock purchased off of Amazon — it’s got a ton of ports, and I use 2 extra external monitors in addition to the M1 MBA every day.

Once there’s an understanding of how DisplayLink works, I think you’ll appreciate being able to utilize multiple monitors with an Apple Silicon MacBook Air.

I use two docks: the NewQ, and a Dell D6000 dock — that both work with multiple monitors. The NewQ works better for me.

Taselcult

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
inside the tubes
So says M1 and M2.... for those that have used these does that mean devices that don't support 2 monitors now will with this device? I know there are. a few out there that support "extra graphics" allowing you you to add another monitor even thought normally not supported. But wasn't seeing anything on the site that said either way. just that it supported M1 &M2 MacBooks. (which again.. in theory don't support 2 monitors). Curious if my M2 Mac mini will get a extra monitor due to this.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Just buy one of the Anker docks, like Anker USB C Hub 553 USB-C Hub, MBA can't support 2 monitors so you'd be wasting your money on something like this.
Thanks.
Definitely aware that MBAs don't support dual external monis and not expecting the above docs to do so.
I have seen 3rd party breakout boxes that, with an included software solution, can afford duals on an MBA. I have not used them (and they seem kinda kludgy), so I can't speak to their functionality for my friend who's looking to go that route.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
There are a bunch of docks out there that offer DisplayLink capability; I use these for my M1 MacBook Air I use at work. I have a NewQ for Mac dock purchased off of Amazon — it’s got a ton of ports, and I use 2 extra external monitors in addition to the M1 MBA every day.

Once there’s an understanding of how DisplayLink works, I think you’ll appreciate being able to utilize multiple monitors with an Apple Silicon MacBook Air.

I use two docks: the NewQ, and a Dell D6000 dock — that both work with multiple monitors. The NewQ works better for me.
Thanks for the feedback.

While the above (and related) solution isn't for me, it is for a less-than-tech-savy friend. When you say "once there's an understanding of how DisplayLink works," what do you mean? Can you elaborate? Thank you.

JitteryJimmy

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Anyone else been around the Mac community long enough to remember when a HyperDrive was a General Computing product that added a hard drive to a Mac?

Looks like a good dock here though!
Yep, I owned a HyperDrive'd Mac. It was in my original Macintosh, which was upgraded to a 512kE. It ran a bit hot (despite the addition of a fan), but it was a huge 10 MB. I sold it around 1991.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.