HyperCard revamped - Online app builder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cosmichobo, Aug 14, 2011.

1. cosmichobo macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

G'day,

Before the internet... (and an inspiration for the internet) back in the 80's Apple had HyperCard. It was an app that allowed its users to create "stacks" with such amazing variety and complexity that it could quite seriously do just about anything.

iWeb is probably the closest thing that Apple has made to HyperCard... though of course it's nothing like it... but imagine if iWeb was re-released, with amazingly complex and user friendly features, allowing users to do HyperCard-like things, but creating something that could be disseminated online or on iOS...

Sure, there's tonnes of crap already on the AppStore, and this would potentially just open that up... but think about the potential that would be released...

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Wow, an online hypercard stack feature. That WOULD be cool.

And I'd say some Rapidweaver tools (stacks?) are more akin to the Hypercard idea than iWeb.

Unfortunately the modern Apple juggernaut is not likely to head in the direction of a new hypercard. Its system software is sorta nice, but innovation is rather lacking. It's very much interested in a controlled consumer environment, not a empowered user environment.

Rob

3. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

:(

You know what - this pretty much sums it up really.

Unless Apple could make an add-on profit somehow... I can't see them doing it...

Oh well... back to OS 9... better not get rid of my eMac just yet. Wonder how hard it is to find HyperCard 3.0...