Hyperlinks in Excel

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jozawun, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Jozawun macrumors newbie

In Excel for Windows, if a cell contains an unhyperlinked email or web address, you can shortcut the hyperlinking process by simply double-clicking in the cell and, hey presto, hyperlinked.
    Very convenient if you want to hyperlink a long list of unhyperlinked web addresses which you have pasted and copied from another source.
    However, it does not seem to work on my new Super Imac with Excel (Office for Mac).
    Does anyone know how to make this trick work with Excel (Office for Mac); or does anyone have a similar trick for this purpose?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click in an adjacent cell that doesn't have a hyperlink, then use the arrow keys to navigate to that cell.

3. Jozawun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for your prompt reply, but I think I must be missing something.
    If the subject address is in, say, A1 and I click in the empty B1, then use the left arrow to move to A1, nothing happens.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're saying that using the arrow keys doesn't change the active cell?

5. Jozawun thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do your arrow keys work in other apps? If not, try restarting your computer.

7. Jozawun thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know, I only use them to move around in Excel and text (when editing).

I will restart in 2-3 hours when the current processes are finished, then start again.

Once again, thanks for your help.

8. Jozawun thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I still couldn't make it work using the arrows, but I did stumble on the solution.
    As in Windows, you double click in the active cell; but then, instead of just moving to the next unhyperlinked cell, you have to hit Enter/Return first: and then you have your hyperlinked cell.
    Thanks for your help, and maybe someone else might find this shortcut useful.