Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hyper today announced the release of two new HyperDrive hubs that allow M1 models of the MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro to connect to two 4K displays over HDMI in a plug-and-play manner with no drivers required.

hyperdrive-dual-4k-display-hdmi-hubs.jpeg

There is a 3-in-1 version of the hub with two HDMI ports and a USB-C Power Delivery port for up to 100W of pass-through charging, and a 10-in-1 version of the hub that offers those same ports with the addition of another USB-C port, two USB-A ports, a Gigabit Ethernet port, microSD and SD card slots, and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Hyper says both hubs deliver dual 4K HDMI video output over a single USB-C connection to M1 MacBook models by using a combination of both DisplayPort Alt Mode and SiliconMotion InstantView plug-and-play video technology. After connecting the hub to the Mac, users must open the HyperDisplay app that appears on the desktop.

Keep in mind that on both of the hubs, one HDMI port supports 60Hz and the other is limited to 30Hz, which may be a dealbreaker for some users.

The 3-in-1 hub is priced at $129.99 in the United States and is available on Hyper's website, while the 10-in-1 hub runs for $199.99.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Hyper. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Hyper's Latest Hubs Let You Connect Two 4K Displays to an M1 MacBook Using a Single Port

Last edited:
Reactions: thebluepointe

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
Does this work with the M1 Mac Mini? I can’t see why not, but no mention of the Mini in the product specs.

I have two LG UltraFine 4K monitors, and it would be nice to connect them to the Mini via a single cable (though still no daisy chaining I guess).

Reactions: Joniz and xmach

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Only one HDMI port offers 60Hz 4K, the other is 30Hz. Can the M1 Macbook Air/Pro even power 2 x 60Hz 4K displays?

Reactions: xmach

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
One of the 2 displays being limited to 30Hz should make this a non-starter for most people.

30Hz vs 60Hz for a computer monitor is a big deal. This technical compromise should not be underestimated. It should be mentioned in the article IMO.

EDIT: Also, I'd be interested in learning more about this "InstantView" technology. The official website doesn't properly explain what it is. Does it compress the image? If so, is the compression lossy? Should be a pretty important factor in your buying decision as well.

tedwill

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
This has to be too good to be true. I spent a lot on a HP DisplayLink compatible dock that can do this. Combined with a little black magic and a prayer. I also have two LG UltraFine 4k monitors. I would love to simplify my set up if this truly works.

Reactions: lockhartt

tedwill

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2016
Northville, MI
I agree. 4K at 30Hz is absolutely horrible.
My plan has always been to wait for the next generation M1X or M2 chip (whatever they're going to call it) later this year to get full 4k on two additional monitors. On my M1 MacBook, \tThe DisplayLink workaround gives me 60hz on both screens, but it's 1920x1080 which to me is easier on the eyes than 30hz 4k.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Only one HDMI port offers 60Hz 4K, the other is 30Hz. Can the M1 Macbook Air/Pro even power 2 x 60Hz 4K displays?

One of the 2 displays being limited to 30Hz should make this a non-starter for most people.

30Hz vs 60Hz for a computer monitor is a big deal. This technical compromise should not be underestimated. It should be mentioned in the article IMO.

EDIT: Also, I'd be interested in learning more about this "InstantView" technology. The official website doesn't properly explain what it is. Does it compress the image? If so, is the compression lossy? Should be a pretty important factor in your buying decision as well.
Updated article with: Keep in mind that on both of the hubs, one HDMI port supports 60Hz and the other is limited to 30Hz, which may be a dealbreaker for some users.

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
If MacOS properly supported the DisplayPort MST industry standard, Mac users would be able to daisy chain DP monitors or use any of the available MST hubs on the market. When looking at DP MST hubs from different manufacturers, there is usually a “Not compatible with Mac” warning on the page.

This is not a hardware compatibility issue since an Intel Mac booted into Windows works with MST just fine. What is Apple’s reason for still not supporting MST after all these years? It is some petty attempt to “convince” people to buy Thunderbolt monitors?

mark-in-mk

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Still baffles me why Apple doesnt create their own docking solution for their laptop line.
Imagine the cost of that ! If they can charge £699 for some wheels for a Mac Pro and £949 for a monitor stand the sky is the limit.

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
Is there any details on HOW they're doing this?

Given that nothing has come up before, I have difficulty believing that they're actually getting the OS to output a 3rd display without additional drivers.

Now, what they *could* be doing is: The M1 can output 6K 60Hz (20,358,144 pixels), which is sufficient to run TWO 4K monitors (8,294,400 pixels each, 16,588,800 pixels total) worth as a *single display*, and their hardware is then chopping that display down to TWO separate monitors? Perhaps the 30Hz is a limitation of their chopping silicon that breaks the single display into two???

jaytv111

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Is there any details on HOW they're doing this?

Given that nothing has come up before, I have difficulty believing that they're actually getting the OS to output a 3rd display without additional drivers.

Now, what they *could* be doing is: The M1 can output 6K 60Hz (20,358,144 pixels), which is sufficient to run TWO 4K monitors (8,294,400 pixels each, 16,588,800 pixels total) worth as a *single display*, and their hardware is then chopping that display down to TWO separate monitors? Perhaps the 30Hz is a limitation of their chopping silicon that breaks the single display into two???
Hyper says both hubs deliver dual 4K HDMI video output over a single USB-C connection to M1 MacBook models by using a combination of both DisplayPort Alt Mode and SiliconMotion InstantView plug-and-play video technology. After connecting the hub to the Mac, users must open the HyperDisplay app that appears on the desktop.

It's using USB data for the second HDMI port, the first uses DP Alt mode. So with the M1 you're using up the 1 external display limit on DP Alt, and the other is a virtual graphics card connected over USB.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Forget the hub. Where can I buy cables like that? No snaking and curling and overlapping. They just sit there in perfectly straight paths, without tape or clips or anything, and at the perfect length! Wow! The future is now.
Photoshop sells those

• Haha
Reactions: Piplodocus

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
If you're second monitor is used primarily for static images or stock/investment apps, it could certainly be tolerable.
Yep. I throw pdfs and plans up on the second monitor and 30 is fine.

Wonder if it can do 2k at 60?

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Yep. I throw pdfs and plans up on the second monitor and 30 is fine.

Wonder if it can do 2k at 60?
Yes it can do 60Hz in 2k.

The specs say "adaptive compression", and it has hardware video decode for different formats.

Reactions: amartinez1660

ColBatGuano

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
Does this work with the M1 Mac Mini? I can’t see why not, but no mention of the Mini in the product specs.

I have two LG UltraFine 4K monitors, and it would be nice to connect them to the Mini via a single cable (though still no daisy chaining I guess).

You won't be able to connect to LG ultrafine monitors via a single cable using this. It outputs HDMI, and the Ultrafines only accept Thunderbolt as input.

You could buy the OWC thunderbolt 4 hub which gives you an extra 2 thunderbolt ports to do this though.

asdfjkl;

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
If MacOS properly supported the DisplayPort MST industry standard, Mac users would be able to daisy chain DP monitors or use any of the available MST hubs on the market. When looking at DP MST hubs from different manufacturers, there is usually a “Not compatible with Mac” warning on the page.

This is not a hardware compatibility issue since an Intel Mac booted into Windows works with MST just fine. What is Apple’s reason for still not supporting MST after all these years? It is some petty attempt to “convince” people to buy Thunderbolt monitors?
Amen!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.