Hyperthreading and Adobe CS?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Oct 27, 2009.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

So with all the hubbub over the new iMacs, I was wondering if anyone had any info about hyperthreading and Adobe CS, specifically Photoshop. I've done some light Googling on the subject but haven't come up with anything good.

I'm pondering getting one of the new 27" i5 or i7 iMacs to use as my production machine (in place of my current 24"). I mainly use InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver. Almost never do any video editing right now, but that could change in the future (though it will likely never be a major need).

Right now I'm on CS3, but planning to upgrade to CS5 when it gets released next year.

2. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

To the software developers there must be no difference between a processor with eight cores or one with four cores and another four virtual ones. (I could be wrong of course.) Therefore the efficiency of a software product in relation to hyperthreading is equal to the efficiency of the product concerning its support of multiple cores. CS5 will be written in Cocoa, so I suspect those programs will be using GCD (efficient way of supporting multiple cores), but I'm afraid I can't tell you anything about CS3. I think however that since CS5 will use GCD it doesn't matter whether you have four or eight apparent cores, the software will not make more or less efficient use of the cores in either instance. (I must again stress that I can be wrong:eek:)
    Now hyperthreading itself seems to have often a positive influence on the processor's performance, but you can't know for sure until extensive tests have been done with the i7 in Snow Leopard.