Hypothetical 3.0/2.2.1 question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cruelmemory, Mar 23, 2009.

1. cruelmemory macrumors member

For all the users/developers out there that are testing out 3.0 beta, I had a question (just for fun):

If you had the ability to downgrade from 3.0 back to 2.2.1 and keep ONE feature from 3.0 and the stability of 2.2.1, what would you keep?

I would like 2.2.1 if I could keep Spotlight from 3.0 beta.

Your turn.

2. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Considering it is a beta, I don't think there is much choice since many features are not working.

3. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Not to tear you down but this question is pretty ridiculous.

FWIW, 3.0 beta, in the hands of someone other than a bumbling customer, is not as unstable as its been called. No where near.

4. svndmvn Guest

2.2.1 has some glitches as well..
    3.0 is stable, some app are managed incorrectly but it's not a tragedy
    i'd have to say copy/paste, I keep my apps in 3 pages max, so I don't need spotlight(and I know where to search in other apps), mms what? lanscape is just annoying sometimes, I wish there was a way to disable it, but I understand there are already too many settings..

5. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68030

Agreed.

6. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Never! :D

No such thing as too many user customizable settings. As long as things are "On" by default, not "off".

7. svndmvn Guest

have you noticed the lag in settings? I'd really love to lock the accelerometer in some apps and such but not if the snappiness changes, I just wonder how other mobile OSs lag so much with pretty much the same hardware Apple has, and even smaller displays, more keys(less virtual ones)

8. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

You need to understand the overall way the beta performs.

It is a Memory Hog. Multitasking, such as iPod use while browsing heavily over 3G, is difficult because Memory Allocation needs major adjustment.

Basically every time you use an app or two, you consume ALL of the available memory. There is an app in the appstore called MemoryInfow/FreeMemory that is essential for running 3.0 smoothly. Most of the "bad experiences" out there on 3.0 are not using this app, guaranteed.

This app needs to be used to clear the memory that does not clear on its own, at least once an hour if you use the thing a lot.

Once you get down to 1-2 mb of memory remaining, ANY app will appear to have lag.

With a clean memory slate, 3.0 performs MUCH faster and smoother than 2.2.1, but it doesn't last. It will slow down as memory is consumed.

This is a very simple (and typical beta) issue. Memory management is the last thing to smoothed out. You don't ice the cake until it has taken its final shape.

For reference, Messages, Settings, etc.. all perform brilliantly on a fresh memory slate, under 3.0b. Its really exciting to see how well its going to perform by the summer. Seriously a BIG STEP in performance.

Also, I don't see anyone else reporting this, but BATTERY LIFE has been ridiculously good. Not pulling legs here, I'm a dev, been using iphones since iday07, been programming since march of last year.

My battery was draining so quickly under 2.2.0 - .1 I was seriously considering a replacement. Now, not a chance. Best Battery life I've experienced on an iPhone to date. In my honest opinion, 40-50% better than previous. All from a firmware update.

its unreal

9. svndmvn Guest

Don't worry, I'm not one of those complaining about the performance of an unreleased OS:) It was a simple statement, I'm kind of convinced Apple is also about simplicity, they'll keep Settings as simple as possible, it can easily get crowded.
    About the lag, of course I was talking about a fresh iPhone, no app run, actually Messages gives me some lag as well, not a big issue either.

10. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Yea, they over simplify, to maintain control.

They do everything possible to maintain control over "what you want." They don't like people having every possible option, because it creates diversity. It then becomes difficult (impossible) to market one product to that crowd in the future. (Microsoft suffered this).

11. cruelmemory thread starter macrumors member

"Just For Fun"

I know it is. Hence the just for fun :)

It would be interesting if Apple released a 2.3 update addressing current bugs and added one or two of the neat features. But they won't. It's just gonna go from here to 3.0.

12. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

Honestly. The battery has been around 90-93% all day and I have used it to text, call, surf the web and email. It is amazing.

I also have WiFi on, Push on and am using it on 3G when outside of my house.