Hypothetical: GSM iPad vs. CDMA iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sportsfrk214, Feb 16, 2011.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

So for this thread, let's assume the following conditions for the iPad 2:

1. Apple DOES NOT keep their current iPad format (i.e. GSM only iPad for AT&T, Mi-Fi hotspot needed for Verizon)

2. Apple DOES NOT release a world mode iPad capable of running on any network.

3. Apple DOES release two separate iPads, a CDMA version and a GSM version. Also, both AT&T and Verizon offer identical pricing plans.

Now, I personally think the next iPad will be world mode, because I think Apple would prefer to just sell one device. However, I'd like to hear some discussion based on the three assumptions above. If those 3 things happen, and there are 2 separate iPads released, which one would be better?

Essentially, what are the pros and cons of both CDMA and GSM iPads? Which one would you be better off getting? I want to preorder my iPad 2 the minute its announced because I want to get it as soon as possible, and I think it's best to be prepared in advance. I, like many, don't want to sit there in that moment trying to decide CDMA or GSM. So what do you guys think? Take into account, like I said above, the fact that we're going to assume both companies offer identical data plans. Which is better?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Well, if you already have one of the services, that wouldn't be a bad idea to stick with, unless you don't like it. I'd personally just go with whichever service has better coverage where you will be using it. I'm not sure that there would really be a big advantage of either type other than service provider.

3. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

I'm sorry but I can't suspend disbelief enough to assume the qualcomm chip which is is already in the vPhone, already rumored to be in the ipad2, won't be in the ipad 2. Suffice to say it's a done deal.

4. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

considering that an hypothetical CDMA iPad would't be affected by the voice+data problem, verizon's network coverage makes deciding very easy

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

If you never leave the US then it doesn't much matter. If you travel, or plan on traveling, then GSM is superior -- assuming, of course, that the CDMA/GSM doesn't happen.

6. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

If it was an iPhone, I would go for GSM, as CDMA doesn't support simultaneous voice and data.
    For the iPad, I'll go with the carrier that has the best performance and coverage in my area and other areas I expect to visit.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

IMHO this is the best answer; figure out coverage differences where you will need to use it and choose the carrier that best serves your specific needs.

I suspect that Apple will prefer to go with a single GSM+CDMA device if possible; there's a cost to producing, stocking, and supporting several different models. I'd be surprised if they expanded beyond the current six different ipad models.

8. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I suppose I would consider GSM for international use, however, when I'm on a trip in a country I'd rather not spend the time finding a SIM, I would just use Wifi at a hotel.

Verizon's coverage is certainly more wide spread, and AT&T in Edge (non 3G) areas is just unusably slow.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

Using the hotel's wifi doesn't help much if you're also using the iPad's GPS while touring. As far as finding SIMS in Europe (Eastern or Western) they're pretty ubiquitous.

10. Syk macrumors 6502a

Since I don't travel outside of the US I would get the Verizon iPad.

The way I see it is my jailbroke iphone on AT&T can create a hotspot. I would use that most of the time but if I was in an area without AT&T 3G but Verizon had 3G coverage I would call up Verizon and activate a months worth of data. So it's kind of a fall back plan.

I don't like using public hot spots.