Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
Here's my (limited) shopping list for an iMac.

iMac 24"
3.06 ghz
4gb memory
Wireless mighty mouse
Apple care protection

From the Apple store: £1471

BUT, that's the minimum... I also want to be able to print, ergo, will my HP Officejet 6210 All-in-one work on the iMac?

Secondly, what do I need to connect the mac to the internet wirelessly and to connect the printer wirelessly? I saw something in pc world (no, I'm not going to buy there!) about 'Air', but confess it means nothing to me.

So, what else to I need to add to the shopping list to get up and flying?

I haven't even mentioned software, and thought I might add that as I went along.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
1) I wouldn't go for the very top of the line model unless cost isn't an issue or you need it, the midline 24" will serve you very well.

2) Apple Ram = Markup, you will save money by buying your own and installing it yourself, it isn't too difficult.

3) The iMac has built in Wireless-n Airport so you're good on that front.

4) Software depends entirely on what you use it for.

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
Thanks for that.

So the wireless aspect... I don't have wireless at present, so I'd need a router - is that an Apple item?

rastersize

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
So the wireless aspect... I don't have wireless at present, so I'd need a router - is that an Apple item?

Any (b (=11 Mbit), g (= 54 Mbit) and/or n (= 300 Mbit, the Apple one can do this)) router with WiFi/wireless (or access point) will do.

The Apple one is a good choice though.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
And for memory... is this 2gb the kind of sale on eBay that looks suitable for the iMac? (I know the ad says so, but what about you guys?)

Would appear to be a bargain is apple sell 4gb for £98, and a 2gb stick is, say, £15 on fleebay.

??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kingston-Memory-2-GB-Apple-iMac-or-Mac-Book-Pro_W0QQitemZ170302337936QQihZ007QQcategoryZ80034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

NEVER buy RAM from ebay. Use Crucial or Newegg instead. Much better and you don't have to worry is it suitable for your Mac

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I don't know when you plan on buying, but you should seriously wait. We don't know exactly when, but the new iMacs should be coming soon (within a month or two).

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
I've read (all?) the thread about new macs coming, and I don't want to get into a waiting game/reading 'New iMac' threads, soI'm just waiting until IO have the money for what I think will suit me.

As it stands, I can't afford the top of the range iMac even now, so what's the point in waiting for 1) something I don't need, or 2) can't afford (then or now?).

So, I'm settling for 85-90% greatness and let someone else play the waiting game.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I've read (all?) the thread about new macs coming, and I don't want to get into a waiting game/reading 'New iMac' threads, soI'm just waiting until IO have the money for what I think will suit me.

As it stands, I can't afford the top of the range iMac even now, so what's the point in waiting for 1) something I don't need, or 2) can't afford (then or now?).

So, I'm settling for 85-90% greatness and let someone else play the waiting game.

That's your money and decicion. The thing why we recommend people to wait is that, if you buy "old model" and new models comes few weeks after you bought yours and there is something that you would really want, you can't blame us.

Current models are great but outdated compared to its price. In UK (you live in there, right?) price will raise when new models comes (exchange rates).

Buy it if it suits for your needs and budget

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007

That's exactly the reason to wait, because you can get the specs of the higher end machine for the price of a lower one once the upgrade occurs.

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
Yeah, I can't argue with you on that.

It's not like I'm in a hurry to upgrade from a pc to a mac - only that I've made the decision to go, and there's no going back as far as I'm concerned.

I'll hold fire, as I'm still gatheirng my few quids together week by week.

It's funny, in 1995 or so, when I bought my first pc, and it was a pc, the thing cost about £1500. Needless to say that it came fomr pc world (never again!), and I feel for the sales trick then employed to give me '£1000 worth of vouchers' - which of course I never used, and were a joke in themselves.

But I'm a bit more savvy these days, and DETEST pc world. I digress. The point being that £1500 back then was shedloads really, but look what it buys nowadays. (presuming that around the £1500 is what I'm going to be parting with).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.