Hypothetical Question about breaking an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejisfun, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ejisfun macrumors regular

Okay, let me start by saying this is all hypothetical.

If I were to drop my iPhone 4 and break the screen, the "normal" thing to do would be to go to apple, pay 200 bucks, and get a new phone.

But me, being the cheap person I am, I don't want to pay 200 bucks.

If I tried to first replace the screen with a replacement from somewhere such as sw-box.com, but ended up failing, would it cost any more for me to replace it? Or would it still be only 200 dollars to replace?

2. Ibuyiphones macrumors newbie

If you can put the old parts back after you have failed to replace the new screen, Im sure they will only charge you the 200.00. They probably just want to see the iphone in ONE piece. There are a lot of screws to deal with so if you do end up one day replacing the screen be careful and take note of everything you remove.....

I buy and refurbish iphones so I know what I'm talking about.
    Btw, if you ever buy an iphone 4 screen, make sure it's a retina.

3. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

My friends iPhone got dropped and they replaced it free of charge. His screen was beyond salvation..
    but as said before, as long as the phone is still in one piece, it would still be $200

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The condition of the $200 policy is that the phone doesn't have "serious damage" the phone must be in one piece so Apple can use some parts for refurbs.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed. Too risky for my blood. You could fail at the repair attempt and be out both the cost for the repair kit and Apple's charge.

6. ejisfun thread starter macrumors regular

I wouldn't try it on my own, but with guides like ifixit out there I'd be pretty confident. I've done things like make ds lites transparent, so I'm not a complete newcomer to things like this.

Thanks for the responses! :) Good to know for future reference.