Hypothetical question on Reception issue...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Megalobyte, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

OK, strictly hypotehtically, since we can all (apparently) argue incessantly about the particulars, the actual vs perceived causes/issues etc....

If, again, hypothetically, Apple had to, notice I said, HAD to, make a choice, make the IP4 with an external antenna which might have issues for some, when used without a case, in sub optimal signal areas, but have a vastly better battery than the 3Gs, or, the reverse, fairly poor, 3gs-like battery life, but you don't need a case, or good 3g coverage to have great reception, as the antenna is on the inside?

So, external antenna that may require a case to work well under all conditions, with a great battery, or, internal antenna that doesn't need a case to assist, but, pretty bad battery life. And those are your only choices?

I ask because I recall vividly that everybody, myself included clamored for a better, larger battery last year, for the new iphone. But let's face it, when you're attempting to cram literally some of the world's most advanced tech, and a lot of it, into the smallest possible space, space obviously becomes a serious limitation. I would imagine often, you can get one thing, but at the expense of another.

So, what if, just maybe, the only way to get the better battery, and everything else people love about the IP4, into the limited space, was to use an external antenna? It could very well be that hypothetical choice I mentioned above was not so hypotehtical.

My question is, if that's true, was it a good compromise? It appears for some, like me, who have great reception with or without a case, even in areas my 3gs had trouble with, yes, but obviously, for some no.

People complained about battery life, the screen resolution, the camera, etc... the new iphone has a way better battery and everything was improved, but it also has a sometimes problematic external antenna, which might have been the cost of all those other things we wanted, and here we are...Maybe right now, with current tech, you cannot have it all. The Evo doesn't seem to suffer from the same reception issues, but, its battery by most accounts lasts half as long as the IP4... I don't think a perfect smartphone exists and I think compromises are made in all of them.

Yes, the Evo might improve its battery life with some tweaking, the IP4 just needs a case... :)

2. samcraig macrumors P6

For me, I never had concerns over my 3GS battery. Would I like one that lasts longer? Sure. But I never needed it. I either had access to a plug or computer. And I think maybe ONCE I ran the battery down to "off" while out and about. And that was because I was pulling some major google mapping.

Plus - if it was an issue for me I would have purchased an external battery to extend the life.

The case solves most of the issue. And I would always use a case. So in essence it's 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other. Case, extended battery. Both are there to enhance performance.

But as a stand alone device - I think I might have chosen shorter battery life. But who can say - because we don't really know how much power the current insides use vs the 3gs.

Also not in this equation is - what about making the iphone just a WEE bit thicker to have both long battery and an internal antenna.

Sacrifices were made.

3. Megalobyte thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, sacrifices/compromises were made, time will tell if they were wise, but, as I said, I feel all cutting edge phones have them.

As for 3gs battery life, the most I could get with moderate to heavy use was 5 hours, and frankly, even when I tried to charge it throughout the day, there were many times I just ran out of power when I wasn't finished. :) Was it the end of the world, no, but it was a little irritating to have to be fairly watchful of the battery, and I'd have to say, battery life was pretty much the most common complaint I saw/read about on the 3g iphones.

On my 4, it's no longer a concern, I'm using it pretty hard, and rarely do I reach even 20%, I usually end the day at 30%-40%, and not once have I had to charge it during the day, which is VERY nice, practically a miracle, especially given the 4 is more powerful and feature rich, and, since I have zero reception issues, well, it's a no brainer for me, I love it. I do feel for those who have serious reception issues, which I do believe are real, but I have only my own experience to go by and my experience so far is just great.

If a case solves the issue, and I had to choose between using a case, which I'd use anyway, or having a mediocre at best battery, my choice and preference is obviously, use a case, get great battery life, and everything else.

4. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

If this was a sacrifice they made then I'm certainly OK with it, however the iP4 antenna is actually better, I can get calls in areas where I previously had no service at all. So moving the antenna was definitely a win win for me.

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, apple may have been critizided if they did this, but I would have preffered if they kept the 3GS body but with the new chipset they could have had an even bigger battery and internal antena, I feel that would have been better.

6. Megalobyte thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm with you, win win for me too, I too get superior reception to my 3gs, I get data and net surfing in areas I never once was able to with my 3gs, and, I always keep my iphones in a case anyway, so that doesn't bother me at all. I suppose philosophically it bothers me that the antenna does apparently have its problems in some conditions, but that's abstract for me, since it just doesn't affect me.

I imagine however, if I was one who was having severe issues, particularly with a case, as some report, I'd rather have a smaller battery, and an antenna that isn't problematic.

As my IP4 works perfectly, and has a better battery and lots of other great stuff, for me, it was/is a great compromise, if I was one of the unfortunate ones who can't get reception even with a case, then I guess it would surely suck, and I'd have little choice but to look at alternatives.

To those who's IP4 works with a case, but are upset they need to use one, well, I don't know what to tell you, except that it seems to me, putting a phone in a protective case isn't really that much of a hardship, there are some pretty cool ones out there, or soon will be anyway, and it could actually save your $700 phone if you ever drop it, which I realize never happens... :)