Hypothetical Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dlb253, Apr 24, 2010.

1. dlb253 macrumors member

I'm planning on using my new MBP for some LIGHT gaming. I've had problems with past laptops (PCs not Macs) overheating. I'm worried I'll run into that issue with some of the games I'd like to play, and that the excessive heat might damage my new computer.

I have a new base model 13". I'm confident the specs can handle the games I want to play, but I might be pushing the limits of my specs.

Hypothetical question: if for some reason my MBP did overheat during gaming & ended up damaging the GPU or whatever...would this be covered under my AppleCare? Or as the owner am I expected to know the limitations of my comp beforehand?

2. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

As long as you haven't overclocked or done anything unauthorized to make the heat damage occur, you are covered.

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

If you have Applecare, almost definitely. If you don't, still likely as use of a game is not outside of normal usage criteria. And given how many repairs Apple had to cover for past GPU overheating failures ( I had two logic boards replaced on my past MBP due to GPU failures), I think it's likely that the Apple engineers took care to prevent GPU heat issues with the current model.

4. cys920622 macrumors member

Most likely.

Lol on another note, anyone else remember the OTHER "Hypothetical" applecare question? ;)

5. Jwalker9 macrumors member

thats what perked my interest to read this thread :) wonder if the salt water plan worked?