Hypothetical Scenario: In-Store Availbility on the 24th

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by djuzi, Apr 21, 2015.

1. djuzi macrumors member

I feel like if Apple had store pickup or store stock, a lot of people wouldn't be able to get the watch they want. It would probably lead to people getting whatever watch they have that day. I can't imagine the logistics of having all those combinations in the store.

I stand by Apple's decision to do an online only release initially. That had to have been the best and fastest way to get the right combo watch into the customers hands. A concurrent store release would probably lead to even longer wait times for many more customers. What do you think?

2. 16Paws macrumors 6502a

I do not disagree. My issues are as follows:

1. They should have simply stated that some models would not be available for the initial launch window.
    2. They were not running real software at the try on, only demo loops which I find odd.
    3. They make me hate myself for how much I stalk the forums :)

-- VERY EXCITED -- 42mm SG

3. BeyondtheTech, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015

BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

They should have offered a few basic or most popular configurations in the store, and offered the variations like they do with build-to-order (BTO) Macs.

It's been determined that there are a number of people who ordered multiple models as well as others who preordered and regretted their decision or wished they chose a different model, especially after...
    • they actually tried on their selected model in the store and didn't like it
    • they saw the other size would fit better
    • determining that one model will ship earlier than another
    • they heard or saw results of torture tests
    • they realized it's worth the price increase or decrease to upgrade or downgrade

4. yalag macrumors 65816

There's try on demo in the stores. You just missed it for some reason

5. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

This was unexpected, but I think it does make sense. The point of the try on appointments is to get a feel for the bands and the watch sizes and see which one you like. With their 15 minute appointment windows I suspect they were afraid that with working watches people would spend too much time playing with the watch and overrun their appointment time.

There are functional watches at the stores to play with before or after your try on appointment.

6. 16Paws macrumors 6502a

Must have missed the functional demos. I was in a frenzy and was excited haha. Oh well it will make my first experience actually using the watch all that much more like Christmas morning.

7. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Hahaha that is awesome.

I'm assuming you mean it all in a joking way.

I've done two in store try ons. Both I had to double click the contacts button to start the demo loop.

I can see Apple's dilemma. Theres 8 major non-Edition "bodies" not including the bands. Throw in the color variations of the sport, plus the many different variations of the SS and it leads to a logistical nightmare.

I'm irritated that I can't just stay up for 6 hours and walk in and get the Apple Watch on April 24th. I would be FAR more irritated to be left with the option of 32mm pinkish modern buckle or 42mm neon green sports band.

This was quite honestly the most intellectually honest decision that Apple could have made if they couldn't guarantee right enough product mix in store.

8. 16Paws macrumors 6502a

Exactly.