hypothetical upgrade path to next Gen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DotCom2, Mar 21, 2009.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

I currently have an iPhone 3G. If the next generation iPhone comes out this summer I will roughly be into my contract 1 year and most likey not eligible for an upgrade price but my spouse is out of contract with AT&t and therefore, would be eligible. Would it be possible, and has anyone ever bought an iPhone with their spouses upgrade and then swapped phones and ported numbers over to each other? What I mean is, say spouse uses ugrade to get new iPhone XX then swaps with me on my 3G. We are on a family plan so I don't see what difference it would make to AT&T who has what phone. Also, what about purchased App's. How would that work?
    Is this able to be done?

2. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

To clarify, hubby currently just has a razr phone.

3. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I don't see why not, I've done this on T-Mobile before I switched to AT&T plenty of times. Either way they are extending someone into a contract and don't care what you do with the phone afterwards. You should be fine, just swap the SIM cards and you're good to go with switching phones.

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

It can be done, just remember that you will need the data plan on both lines at that point in time. Tell the CSR at the store you're buying from if AT&T and they'll do the sim swap for you after activating the new iPhone on the second line. If you buy from Apple, just quietly leave. They're great with Apple stuff, but terrible with AT&T stuff/knowledge.

5. CKohkah macrumors 6502

When the 3G came out last summer everyone who had the previous iPhone was automatically eligible for the iPhone 3G upgrade.

I suspect that is how it'll be this go around as well.... do you think Apple and AT&T are gonna shut all those previous iPhone users out of getting the new one??

I don't think so... ;-)

6. dancavallaro macrumors regular

That's only because the first iPhone wasn't subsidized by AT&T, so you had to pay full price for it.

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes it is often done on FamilyTalk plans. You are not porting numbers. Porting is only for numbers coming into AT&T or going out to another carrier. With AT&T, the phone number follows the SIM.

Please note that you may end up renewing for a new two service agreement on both lines depending on the skills of the RSC in the AT&T store. The best process it just to tell the RSC upfront what you want to do and have both of you present as during the process your husband will be getting a new SIM as part of any activation (even if it not really requried), so his phone will stop working when his line is upgraded to the new iPhone. Also depending on how the upgrade and swap is processed your husband will loose any saved voicemails as his line may be provisioned for the Visual Voicemail during the process. When you get all done verify that you have the correct features and data plans on each line and you will be ready to enjoy your new toy.

Dave

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

As others have said, it shouldn't be a problem to switch the phone number from the 3G to the new iPhone.

As for apps, just syncing the new iPhone to the same iTunes would sync all apps (paid or free) to the new iPhone. Your husband can either continue to sync the 3G with the same iTunes account to keep all the same apps/music/video/etc., or sync it with a different iTunes account and start over from scratch.

9. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

FABULOUS!
    Thank you all sooooooooooo much!
    I love my iPhone and can't wait for the next one!