Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you subscribe to Apple TV+ at $10/mo?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Maybe / not sure

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 73.5%

• Total voters

temende

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
The $5/mo for Apple TV+ is a really great deal, especially when compared to the competition. It almost feels too good to be true, and my instinct is that sometime within the next few years they'll raise the price (although hopefully I'm wrong lol).

Hypothetically, if starting tomorrow Apple TV+ was priced at $10/mo instead of $5/mo and everything else remained the same - and let's assume there's no cheaper ad-supported plan - would you still subscribe to it?

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Why would the price suddenly be twice as much without a significant increase in content?

temende

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Why would the price suddenly be twice as much without a significant increase in content?
It was just a hypothetical, I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. But I could see it happening in a few years, at which point they'll have a pretty large backlog of content. As for why, it's because they are currently the cheapest relative to the competition so have headroom to increase the price and because they want the extra money ;)

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here

Because the $5 charge is just to entice people, the library is growing, what you think is significant and what Apple thinks that is before raising the price is not going to be the same.

Forget total subscribers, when it comes to the actual number paying for the service I highly doubt it's covering its costs at $5.

Reactions: temende

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Because the $5 charge is just to entice people, the library is growing, what you think is significant and what Apple thinks that is before raising the price is not going to be the same.

Forget total subscribers, when it comes to the actual number paying for the service I highly doubt it's covering its costs at $5.
But we're talking about doubling the price, not increasing it by 1 or 2 dollars.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I only subscribe for a month here and there, so if there was enough compelling stuff to watch, $10 would be ok. But year round every month? Nope, not even at its current price. The same is true for all of the streaming services. I pick and choose.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I would, but I'm like others here who rotate streaming services. I'm only going to sub it for a few months to squeeze in what I need, then cancel the sub and move on, so an extra $5 to $15 isn't really going to phase me. However, I have streaming services lined up for the time being, so I won't resub to AA until 2023, or perhaps even 2024 until more key shows get new seasons (See got its next season, but also waiting for Central Park and Foundation).

However, this would be fairly bad for those who are more price conscious. If Apple gets more content, then perhaps. But as is and as nice a value as ATV+ is, I reckon there wouldn't be too many takers since ATV+ still needs to compete with other ss (Streaming services), and many others happily pay x2 to x4 more since the value, quality, and content there can match what ATV+ has (not unlike how some here on MR pay more for iPhones, and much more for MacOS computers when some of them could easily make do with Windows or Chromebook). If they rotate ss like some of us (or are otherwise saving money and/or constrained by time), that's another battle to fight.

Another thing is there may be many subs to ATV+ if it were $10/mo, but some of those would be from free trials, and as part of Apple One where it's just cheaper for them to sub to that anyways for other Apple services (assuming A1 didn't up their rates as well).

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I get a "hypothetical" question, but no way Apple would do that (and risk what limited user base it has) without a significant upgrade to their content library... it won't happen, hypothetically or in actuality.

temende

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
I get a "hypothetical" question, but no way Apple would do that (and risk what limited user base it has) without a significant upgrade to their content library... it won't happen, hypothetically or in actuality.
I think in a few years they will have enough content to think about it. Plus a lot of their competitors are increasing prices, and now $10/mo for a streaming service is the new baseline price. Apple's $5/mo is increasingly an outlier pricing-wise, even if the content library isn't as fleshed out yet.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I think in a few years they will have enough content to think about it. Plus a lot of their competitors are increasing prices, and now $10/mo for a streaming service is the new baseline price. Apple's $5/mo is increasingly an outlier pricing-wise, even if the content library isn't as fleshed out yet.
People still sub or use the likes of Tubi, Pluto, FRNDLY, and rabbit ears, so there's all of that to compete against.

But "a few years" is still very far off from your "hypothetically tomorrow".

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
I would watch ATV+ for free with ads. Wouldn't even pay $5/month otherwise.
It is kind of them to make the Peanuts holidays shows free again.
This time on ATV+ and no PBS.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The only reason I have ATV+ is because I'm a subscriber of AppleOne. If the price goes up on ATV+ to a point that it makes sense for me to only subscribe to Apple Music and iCloud storage, I'll drop cancel my AppleOne subscription

We're at a point where these streaming services are a luxury and while individually they're not expensive, they add up very quickly. I only need two streaming services, well three if you want to count apple music. Youtube TV and Netflix. Everything else is optional and if Apple, or others choose to raise their prices, I'll just cancel.

Reactions: Sparxxx

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Huh, somewhat impeccable timing. 10 days later from the OP, ATV+ has its priced raised from $5 to $7/mo, or $70 per year! We're sort of halfway there! :oops: They do have a slew of new sports programming so I'll give them that. O1H, I don't care about sports. OTOH, if attracting more users helps pay for it all, then all the better I suppose.

temende

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Huh, somewhat impeccable timing. 10 days later from the OP, ATV+ has its priced raised from $5 to $7/mo, or $70 per year! We're sort of halfway there! :oops: They do have a slew of new sports programming so I'll give them that. O1H, I don't care about sports. OTOH, if attracting more users helps pay for it all, then all the better I suppose.
Haha good timing indeed. I only made the post because I saw other subscription prices going up and the $5/mo just started to seem way too cheap compared to the competition. I guess it makes sense that they'll do smaller price increases rather than a big jump from $5->$10/mo.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Haha good timing indeed. I only made the post because I saw other subscription prices going up and the $5/mo just started to seem way too cheap compared to the competition. I guess it makes sense that they'll do smaller price increases rather than a big jump from $5->$10/mo.
I got 3 months free through a Best Buy offer about 6 weeks ago... when that expires, I am out. Not enough content to warrant the bump for me...

Reactions: addamas

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I didn't watch it when I had the free trial, so I wouldn't pay for it.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
No. And to be honest, now that the price has gone up to 6.99 for me from 4.99 I'm considering whether to keep paying or not as it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.