Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hyundai USA has expanded CarPlay and Android Auto to the 2016 Azera, Veloster, Sonata Hybrid, and Sonata Plug-In Hybrid, in addition to the 2015 Azera, via a free software update available now on the MyHyundai website. The automaker has now completed the rollout of smartphone integration across its 2017 model year lineup.

Hyundai-Veloster-Azera.jpg

Hyundai customers can install the CarPlay update themselves by watching the do-it-yourself video below, or a Hyundai dealership can perform the update for an installation fee. The process can take between 1 and 4 hours to download and upload the CarPlay update, depending on your network speed, according to the company.

Azera and Veloster are first-time CarPlay vehicles, joining Hyundai's growing lineup of vehicles that support Apple's car-based software, including the 2015 Genesis Sedan, 2015 Sonata, 2016 Elantra GT, 2016 Genesis Sedan, 2016 Sonata, 2016 Tucson, 2017 Elantra, 2017 IONIQ, 2017 Santa Fe, and 2017 Santa Fe Sport.

Apple periodically updates a list of available CarPlay vehicles on its website, but it has yet to add newly-supported BMW 2 Series models.

Article Link: Hyundai Expands CarPlay to Azera and Veloster Models

Joe Rossignol

Senior News Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
As an editor's note for anyone curious: we have focused our CarPlay coverage on first-time vehicles. In this scenario, for example, it is the first time that Hyundai Veloster and Azera models of any year are getting CarPlay. But now that the 2016 Civic has CarPlay, for example, it can be assumed 2017-and-onward models will too, so there is less need for an article next year to avoid redundancy.

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I'm happy to see Hyundai step it up when it comes to CarPlay. I enjoy it on my Hyundai Genesis ever since they did that update a couple of months go.

Lucky, my 2016 Genesis sedan didn't get the update since I have the ultimate package and they're not going to update those.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Yeah, quite disappointed the highest-end Hyundai (Genesis sedan) isn't getting CarPlay.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
ehhhh. Did I get that right. Youre supposed to sit for 40 mins. in your car with the ignition on :eek: whilst this thing updates? Sounds great & very environmentally friendly.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
ehhhh. Did I get that right. Youre supposed to sit for 40 mins. in your car with the ignition on :eek: whilst this thing updates? Sounds great & very environmentally friendly.
The infotainment system will shut off long before then if the ignition is off.
[doublepost=1470688661][/doublepost]
Of course the "ultimate" package wouldn't get premier offerings, who would have thought otherwise? :rolleyes:
Hyundai's official announcement claims they updated the low end lines first because they didn't want to risk upsetting the "premium" experience with unproven software.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
The infotainment system will shut off long before then if the ignition is off.

That's not an excuse for sloppy design, especially when we live in a world where environmental damage through excessive greenhouse gas emissions is a real concern.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Wish my 2016 i30 Turbo would get this update already in the UK. It is rediculous =\

gimletmaker

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
That's not an excuse for sloppy design, especially when we live in a world where environmental damage through excessive greenhouse gas emissions is a real concern.

Oh please, you don't actually still believe that after it's been proven to be a hoax by left wing ideologues., do you?? Didn't you read about all the faked data from the hacked emails at the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia (UEA)?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.