Hyundai W240D-TN monitor: crazy patterns

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CortexRock, Feb 22, 2008.

1. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Now I know display purists out there are going lynch me for buying a monitor from Hyundai. And to a certain extent, I agree I probably could have not been so impulsive in my purchase (seemed like a good idea at the time!).

Here's what happens:

While operating the monitor at 1920x1200 on DVI(HDCP) input from my Mac Pro with ATI2600 graphics card, the display will suddenly become unresponsive. On several occasions it has also displayed fast moving "speckles" as well as random lines and bars across the entire screen (see attached photos of the artifacts).

The whole system becomes unresponsive, and even switching the monitor off and back on does not resolve the problem. The only way to recover seems to be to switch between the inputs to reset the DVI signal.

In addition to this, the monitor often fails to wake from sleep - only changing inputs or power-cycling seems to have any positive effect.

Another factor that suggests the monitor is at fault is that my old Sony DVI-D monitor displays a signal with no problem whatsoever.

I have performed the Apple Hardware Test to confirm that it is not the computer at fault.

Anyway, I've contacted Overclockers UK where I bought it, and have asked for my money back.

Anyone had similar experiences they'd like to share?

Attached Files:

2. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems I'm not the only one with this problem - there's a lively discussion on the Mac Pro support forum at Apple.com.

Looks like a batch of dodgy ATI 2600 cards are to blame... lucky me!

***EDIT*** Found another thread here where lots of people are having the same problem.