I-35 Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wow...an entire bridge carrying I-35W over the Mississippi River collapsed in Minneapolis during rush hour.

Link

Brings back childhood memories of the 1987 Schoharie Creek bridge collapse on I-90 near Amsterdam, NY, but this could be much, much worse. No word yet on injuries and/or fatalities.

Schmoe0013

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Minneapolis, USA
i live in minneapolis, and the news coverage is scary... cnn does not have the local news helicopter footage... wow, this is so messed up.

i'm goign to donate blood tomorrow. there was a school bus with a full load of kids, and thankfully, people who survived the collapse helped the kids out.

this is so sad..

inital reports say it was bumper to bumper traffic when it collapsed.. at least 50 cars, and 60 constrution workers working on the top end of the bridge

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Really scary pictures coming out of Minneapolis. But as of this moment, they're saying things could have been much, much worse.

I hope everybody got out of all those cars that went into the water.

Weird how something like this can happen. They demolished an extremely old bridge in Cleveland, the Fulton Rd. bridge, a few months back. I should say, they tried to demolish it, 'cause the dynamite charges didn't take it down the first time. They actually had to regroup and come back a few days later and try again. It finally went down on the second attempt.

And here this thing is newer, and it goes down on its own. (Shakes head.)

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
The pictures on the local news are just awful. Our family is just sitting in front of the TV in shock. We have friends and co-workers in the Cities and we are praying for all of those involved.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
And here this thing is newer, and it goes down on its own. (Shakes head.)
Newer = Lower quality construction?

Hopefully there are not too many fatalities.. this is horrible. My wife always notices why I'm in a hurry to get off bridges.. or if I'm under an overpass.. I'll try to drive forward fast..

Poor souls :(

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Terrible. I was in MN, last year - drove over that bridge with my kids in the car. Thoughts and prayers out to those affected.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Damn...I felt that one. I hope everyone got out alright...prayers are with them.

I'm giving it several days before everyone(analyst & whoever) starts placing blame and picking this bridge apart...things like this in such times are not needed but we will get it anyway.

Bless

Schmoe0013

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Minneapolis, USA
the bridge that collapsed is a steel design, where each part is reliant on the other for supprot. if one section starts to go, it's a snowball affect.

the bridge to the east, 3rd ave bridge, is about 100+ years old, and pure stone. they tried to demolish it a while back with dynamite, and it didn't budge. so they rebuilt it. they thought they were going to be ok with this "newer" bridge

My prayers are going out to everyone.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
I usually only cross the bridge on Fridays, but I was supposed to have crossed it today (but didn't because a part I needed for a client didn't come in).

They've been doing construction (road work) on it for more than a month now. And there was a notice in the paper yesterday that it was to be closed from 7 PM to 7 AM everyday this week (until Friday). I don't believe any of the construction was to do with the bridge structure itself, just repaving it and upgrading the de-icing system.

Pretty scary though. :eek:

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Oh, my God. This may sound rather clichéd, but I wasn't prepared for the pictures. :( My prayers go out to all affected by this.

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
If it's not a hurricane,tornado,earthquake,explosion or "Act of God", then it's more than likely structural failure.Which is a result of shoddy worksmanship and/or people putting $$$ in front of human life. Having lived in Boston my whole life, I can relate ;)

God bless to all the people involved....What a way to go :(

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Bridge Collapse in MPLS

Full Story

So, this is very near here. Probably about half an hour from my house.

My friends were just on this bridge yesterday and I was scheduled to go on a field trip with my work (YMCA) that would've taken us over this bridge tomorrow. The fact that it happened between those days makes me feel lucky in a strange way.

At the same time it feels sad that it has to happen to anyway. My thoughts are with those who have suffered from death, injury, or hospitalization.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
scary stuff man...

kinda makes you think of those "I had a dentist appointment on 9/11" stories

If you're religious, thank god. If not, count your lucky stars.

and, well, if you don't believe in luck calculate the probability of you being on that bridge, find it small, and say "ha!"

yetieater

macrumors regular
May 6, 2007
USA
I just read about this on USAToday and couldn't believe it. Sounds like something entirely out of a movie.