I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT OPEN MY iMac's RAM DOOR!!! ):

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thevarman10, Apr 18, 2010.

1. thevarman10 macrumors newbie

I tried everything. All of the screwdrivers in my house, with no force and with full force. The damned screw wont move at all. I've had this iMac since 2008 and I just feel like adding more RAM, as the 1GB is kind of well, small.
    Anyone else have problems opening the ram slot?
    :confused:

2. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I can usually get stuck screws free by trying to tighten first and then loosening. Some carefully directed heat to the head of the screw can help too.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You're turning the screwdriver counterclockwise, aren't you?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Are you using a #2 Phillips head screwdriver?

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

The last time this happened to me, I broke out the soldering iron, duct tape, and lemon juice.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I've always laid my iMac down on it's back to open the RAM door. It gives you more leverage and control with the screwdriver.
    Also, on mine, the screw never comes out fully, you just loosen it and then pop of the RAM door with the screw still attached to door.
    Also remember left loosey, righty tighty.;)

7. thevarman10 thread starter macrumors newbie

*sigh* of course I am. I don't want to 'screw' around with the underside of my mac (get it?). is there a safer alternative than to heat it?

8. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

apply 1 drop of WD-40 to the screw, wait a few minutes and then try to loosen. Remember lefty-loosey, righty-tighty ;)

9. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Try a ice pack! Get the screw and door good and cold then try. The cold will slightly constrict the screw and door allowing it to move. Also try a bigger handle screw driver so you can get more tork.

10. bigrobb macrumors 6502a

11. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Are you having an issue moving the screw or opening the ram door? Because I had an issue where I kept screwing the screw and it kept moving, but the door never came loose. Then I tried to take something small and put it through the grate to just pull the door, and it came right off. Turned out that the screw wasn't long enough to actually thread the hole, so the screw effectively had been doing nothing, since the grate had just been fitted into place. Maybe the same thing happened to you?

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Note that, as others are pointing out, the screw is captive, so it will not come all the way out--when you loosen it the door will come off, but the screw stays with the door. But it sounds like you just can't get the screw to move.

...which is good, because it means you're not stripping it. Which also implies that the screwdriver is at least close to the right size for the screw--if it's wrong, you run the risk of stripping it, but the screwdriver would be popping out rather than just not moving. Therefore, like rpaloalto says, bigger handle screwdriver so you can turn harder. And make sure you push in hard, so it doesn't slip out and strip it.

Hopefully you won't have to resort to ice or WD40 (both of which might help). There's also Lube Job or any of a variety of thread looseners you can buy at your local hardware store, but those are nasty stuff unless you're desperate.

Related tip if you do have problems with the screwdriver coming out of a partially-stripped and very tight screw, taught to me by a Xerox maintenance guy: Take a correctly-sized screwdriver bit that's nice and sharp, put it in, and tap the screwdriver in with a hammer. This embeds the bit in the screw a bit and gives it something to push against. Obviously that should be a LAST resort when it comes to something as fragile as an expensive computer.

13. thevarman10 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the tips. i think im just going to go to the apple  store. *sigh*
    I might try again over the weekend, as I am occupied with other stuff.
    I'll be sure to post here if i get the freaking screw moving.