I Absolutely Love iOS 8...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Statusnone88, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I'm sure there's a few threads on this, but I just had to point out this very useful thing that made me fall in love with iOS 8.

I went into Best Buy today. Long story short, my iPhone 5s knew I was in Best Buy, and on the lockscreen (where the handoff icons show up in the bottom left corner) came up for the App Store. So I swipe up and it launched straight to the Best Buy app page. I'm assuming if it was downloaded, it would of just launch straight into that.

That is beyond awesome. It does the same thing with my AT&T app when I'm at work (work for AT&T, obvi).

Kudos Apple. Anyone else have any experience with this with other Apps? Let us know!!

2. jolux macrumors regular

Browsing the web, iMessaging, etc and I can swipe up too. Same with Starbucks and the Apple store.

3. afsnyder macrumors 65816

The app has to have location built into them. Chase bank works with this too, as far as I remember.

I like it more than I can start reading something on my laptop (running Yosemite beta) and then I'll just finish reading on my phone when I leave my laptop.

4. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

So the app developer (Best Buy, Chase, Apple, etc.) actually build the location finding into the App itself? Makes sense. Starbucks always knew when I was near one, even with iOS 7. Thanks for the insight.

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

iOS 8 loves you too:D

6. hrrslmpk macrumors member

7. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Some apps do have the ability to find local stores and such within the app, but that's not necessary for this to work. I believe iOS 8 does it with apple's own map data.

8. mjschabow macrumors 65816

Yes iOS 8 is amazing. Wait tills widgets are available. I personally can't wait for that.

9. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Same here.

Handoff is just fantastic.

iOS 8 will be ever better when we get our hands on third-party widgets and keyboards.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Is that really handoff though or slightly different feature?

11. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Continuity then.

12. Paragka macrumors newbie

I would like to see a few more design changes (they look just like ios7 to me) but they are really smooth! :apple:

13. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Sounds awesome. I haven't downloaded or messed with any of the betas so it will be a nice surprise when I finally get it next month. I just haven't decided if I will download it like everyone else OTA on the official release day or install the GM a week before. I'm leaning towards waiting and enjoying it for the first time on release day.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps, but I'm not sure it's either one and basically just another separate/different feature.

15. techn9ne macrumors member

Hmm. This is where convenience borders on creeping me out. I could see the benefit of an interface like this, but at the same time, I get a little freaked out if my phone knows where I am and starts acting accordingly. I'm sure the settings can be turned off and modified and all that but still.. gives me the willies sometimes.

16. mjschabow macrumors 65816

Skynet is becoming self aware.

17. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Add Yelp and Foursquare as apps that does the same thing via IOS 7.

18. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Add Yelp and Foursquare as apps that does the same thing via IOS 7.

19. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Best Buy has this feature enabled before public launch? Why?

20. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Because it's not Best Buy that enabled it, but Apple. As I said above, the app developer doesn't need to do anything for it. Apple uses their own map data to determine if you are near a store with an app and then presents that app (or a link to download the app) on your lock screen.

21. techn9ne macrumors member

Which is why I don't have Foursquare and I leave location services off on Yelp. I turn 'em on when I'm using it and turn it immediately off. Hated the few times that Facebook updated and defaulted my location as ON and I'd start getting notifications like "[friend] is nearby!" Turned that off right quick.

22. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

23. calvy macrumors 65816

Home Depot and Lowes also. Probably all stores that have apps.

24. iBanker macrumors regular

Is there an option in location settings to turn something like this off if you don't even have the app of the place you're going to?