I accidentally deleted everything in my username/library/preference folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mineto, Nov 23, 2013.

1. mineto, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

mineto macrumors newbie

Hi, I am a novice Mac user. I own a 2010 Mac Mini OS X 10.6.8 and I have a question. I was dumb enough to delete everything in the username/library/preference folder.

I accidentally deleted everything in the folder after reading this: http://www.rahulnair.net/blog/2008/03/17/fixing-vlc-player-crashes-on-mac-os-x/

Basically, my VLC Player had some issues and kept on crashing. I updated the software and the VLC Player is working just fine now.

The only concerns that I have is... should I be worried about deleting these files in the preference folder? Other than the fact that I lost my previous preference settings, I have no problems. *edit* I guess I wasn't clear about the question I was asking... Do I damage the hard drive by deleting these files? Or deleting these files won't have any affect on my computer?

2. Gregg2, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

Gregg2 macrumors 603

I think you'll be fine. If you delete one plist file (that's what is in that folder) at a time, when you run whatever app it was for, a new one gets created. I can't imagine that deleting multiple plist files, or all of them, will change that behavior. As you say, you'll lose any customized settings, which you can customize again.

3. mineto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thank you, Gregg2 for clearing that up. I was afraid I might have damaged my mac computer by deleting those files.