Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmevo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
I was trying to clear memory because my HD was full and I opened Mac HD and deleted it's contents. Now when I try to boot I get a black screen that says "Feb 8 20:25:00 launchd: can't exec /bin/sh for single user: no such file or directory". I got Mac OSX tiger replacement DVD but so far my attempts to boot from disk by holding down 'C' or pressing command-option-shift-delete have proved useless as it just spits the DVD out after three or four attempts at trying to read it. The computer was fine until I shut it off for the first time after deleting mac HD. I don't need any of the stuff on the computer so totally wiping everything in favor of a solution would be fine. Please help!

Jmevo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
MAC 10.4.11. Yes I have a laptop that is also a PPC mac which I can use. As for the CD it says Mac OSX tiger replacement disk. It was the one the guy from applecare sent to me. I can't be sure it is though but I can't figure out how to verify if the problem is with the CD or my computer.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Both Macs probably have Firewire 400 or 800?
If so, you can start the kaputt Mac in Target Disk Mode and ERASE the HDD in Disk Utility on the laptop.

You could then either clone the laptop's HDD to the kaputt Mac's HDD (if you want) or try the DVD again.

Jmevo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Thank you

I will go pick up a firewire cable tomorrow from my local radio shack. Thank you for your service. I'll tell you what happens!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.