Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
No doubt the Lighting connecter is a huge advancement in technology, light years ahead of microUSB.

Except that is all Lightning is just a USB 2 cable (right now).

When released, the only Lightning product is just a USB 2 cable and effectively adapters for USB cables (non of the other 30 pin connector functions supported)

Worse, the added complexity also increases a higher chance of failure of a critical component (simply charging the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch/iPod)

YES, Lightning has the POTENTIAL to do more, but that's vaporeware. As of this post, it is still a very, very expensive USB cable.

Steve was brilliant with his new technology sneak-peek events to get developers excited to make accessories ready when the.

While Apple did say it is working with Bose, JBL, B&W and B&O to make accessories, the lack of a any product a month after iPhone 5, and a very, very late courting of other accessory makers means we have to wait longer before we will really see the genius in Lightning.
Lightning is a PIVOTAL new technology, equal to iPhone 5 itself, Apple needs more effort to promote it to developers (not just customers).

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
You are saying nothing new. It is of my opinion that if you need to actually DOCK your phone to something, you are doing it wrong. With bluetooth and wifi there is no need. I too love the new connection but only use it to charge.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
What else is new?

Everybody here knows Apple keeps their stuff under wraps, they can't, won't start telling vendor a year ahead to start making lightening accessories. That's how Apple has always played it and they get huge press, free advertisement, increase people's desires, keep the competitions guessing.

Don't worry thought, EVERYBODY wants to make accessories for Apple, they will come, and I know this because history.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
This trend of CAPITALISING words is serious annoying. Its like reading everything in Brian Blessed's voice.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Take a guess at how many shielded speaker docks were available for the first iPhone within the first sveral months.

You are saying nothing new. It is of my opinion that if you need to actually DOCK your phone to something, you are doing it wrong. With bluetooth and wifi there is no need. I too love the new connection but only use it to charge.
Having a speaker I can charge my phone with is more elegant than having a separate cable plugged in.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles

I don't like using Bluetooth for music while in the car because of bad audio quality and how quickly it drains the battery. Both of those can be resolved by simply connecting my stereo and iPhone 5 with the lightning connector.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
No doubt the Lighting connecter is a huge advancement in technology, light years ahead of microUSB.

Except that is all Lightning is just a USB 2 cable (right now).

When released, the only Lightning product is just a USB 2 cable and effectively adapters for USB cables (non of the other 30 pin connector functions supported)

Worse, the added complexity also increases a higher chance of failure of a critical component (simply charging the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch/iPod)

YES, Lightning has the POTENTIAL to do more, but that's vaporeware. As of this post, it is still a very, very expensive USB cable.

Steve was brilliant with his new technology sneak-peek events to get developers excited to make accessories ready when the.

While Apple did say it is working with Bose, JBL, B&W and B&O to make accessories, the lack of a any product a month after iPhone 5, and a very, very late courting of other accessory makers means we have to wait longer before we will really see the genius in Lightning.
Lightning is a PIVOTAL new technology, equal to iPhone 5 itself, Apple needs more effort to promote it to developers (not just customers).
lightning is future proofing all apple products from here on out. You would complain if more devices starting using USB 3 plugs and apple still used the old dock connector. Besides they saved a ton of space and it actually looks better now.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
lightning is future proofing all apple products

That's what I said!

Go read the post.

----------

By that logic, then Apple should have installed wireless field charging, and eliminated the connector altogether!

Save a building full of space there.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I disagree. I have a special Onkyo iPhone dock that connects to my Onkyo surround sound amp. It not only charges the iPhone through the amp but it also allows me to listen to music and watch video that's on the phone through the amp. It doesn't support Bluetooth or Wii-Fi. There is no adapter by Onkyo to allow it to be used with the iPhone 5 and at the moment it's just collecting dust. It cost me about £80 and I'm not about to get rid of it. I'm hoping that as soon as I can get a hold of the lightning to 30pin dock connector cable that will at least give me a temporary solution but its not going to be practical in the long term.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.