I afraid that my iMac service got recovered my files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dinos.alpha, Apr 5, 2014.

1. dinos.alpha macrumors newbie

Greetings,
    I ve recently sent my iMac to service for monitor issues.
    before i sent it,I formatted my disk,installed mavericks clean and sent it for service.
    Today I just got it and as i was preparing for my time machine restore,
    I saw a green icon in the launchpad menu that made me curious.
    it is an icon that says ''android file transfer''.
    I moved my cursor on it and it appeared a message that said ''details for stellar phoenix mac data recovery v6 + serial number''
    I am suspecting that the technicians did file restoration from my disk and it gets me extremely furious this thought!
    please tell me what to do to find out more info of what happened to my iMac!
    can i find from somewhere if there was installed such a program??
    please help!!!

2. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

Apple Store or just some random "Mac repair shop" ?

3. dinos.alpha thread starter macrumors newbie

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You had your iMac in for service.
    If you have some question about that service, then ask at that shop ...

5. dinos.alpha thread starter macrumors newbie

to answer me what???''yes we just took your files for personal use''??
    please, my message is quite clear
    there is a potential privacy violation and i am asking for help to figure it out before I do anything with that service!!
    thank you

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

** really?

Why would you refuse to call and ask about file recovery, when you didn't request that service? There may be ANOTHER explanation for that icon, which is in no way connected with taking "your files for personal use". A commercial shop doesn't have time to do that with your "stuff"!
    Might be nice to hear what they have to say, which may be very different from what you suspect.
    (Highly unlikely that even Stellar Phoenix would recover ANYTHING after a reformat and a reinstall of OS X on a good hard drive. It's not really at a drive forensics level.)
    Finally, if your hard drive is still the same (and the same system that you installed), then it's unlikely that you will be able to tell if the whole hard drive was copied at the shop. It's possible that the shop backed up your hard drive, as a safety backup. And, they should tell you that, and also tell you that they have deleted that safety backup after you picked up your repaired Mac. I have done that many times.

7. dinos.alpha thread starter macrumors newbie

did I refuse and not know it?
    did I said somewhere that I m sure for all this?I said potential violation.
    It would be very kind of you to just give your knowledge without assuming over my assumptions.
    thank you for your answers.
    i think that a more appropriate answer would be on HOW I can figure out if there was installed this program.Its a bit odd for a service to install this program!!!

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

But - you had your iMac in for service - and you have a question about that service?

So, I agree completely with your concern.
    I would, first thing, call the shop and ask about it. As I said, your theory may be completely wrong, and the shop should explain why they left some software on your iMac..... (I would want to hear what they have to say, anyway )

If you prefer to just get rid of that app yourself, then do that.
    If the software icon is in your dock, then you can right-click on the icon, then choose "Options", then "Show in Finder". And that will show where the app is installed. There may be an uninstaller with it (but I don't think so)
    Or, the app is likely in the Applications folder, so you can just drag that Mac Data Recovery app to the trash, and empty the trash. That should do it... :D

9. TjeuV macrumors 6502

If you really want people to help you, you shouldn't take such a tone. :rolleyes:

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

DeltaMac wrote above:
    [[ (Highly unlikely that even Stellar Phoenix would recover ANYTHING after a reformat and a reinstall of OS X on a good hard drive. It's not really at a drive forensics level.) ]]

So long as there was only a re-initialization, and NOT a re-install of software, there's an excellent chance of getting data back.

However, as you wrote above, if the user re-installed software "over" a re-initialized drive, the old data may be over-written, making file recovery all-but impossible.

But I have personally re-intialized a drive, and then used data recovery software to scavenge old files from it, with good results...