I almost feel guilty for being 100% happy with IP4 :/

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple iMe, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Apple iMe macrumors newbie

Okay so Ive had my phone since launch day and it has been nothing short of perfect in pretty much every way from its looks to performance. Then I come on here and it seems like the world is about to end "i cant make calls!" or "Apple need to recall the phone!" or "should I varnish the bottom left corner?". Im reading all this and thinking to myself "are they for real??".

Dont get me wrong, if I try to recreate the effect I can, just about anyway. However unless Im actually trying to recreate it, its not there. My call quality is a LOT better than my 3GS and I havent come close to dropping a call in any shape or form.

A work colleague (android fan) approached me today (not knowing that I already had an iPhone 4). He could barely contain his excitement "have you heard the iPhone 4 is completely rubbish?!, yeah apparently when you hold it to make a call it loses signal!!!" - Laughing inside I reply with "really thats bad!" - anyway he continues on so I decide to put an end to his foolish ways and demonstrate the phone held in both the left and right hands. The signal stays on a solid 5 bars even though im inside a building. "Oh!" he replies, his manic grin has now turned into a rather dissapointed look. Re-enforced by the fact that he has just witnessed the phones stunning appearance and incredibly high res screen. He leaves with his tail between his legs. Another colleague alongside me who had been listening and watching asks "so what are they going on about then?!" clearly shocked at the fuss thats been kicked up.

Even though when sitting on a desk the IP4 looks similar to any other iPhone, at least 3 other people have noticed it today and said "Ooo lets have a look!" - I hold it up, touch the screen for a bit, then put it back down. I realise that the iPhone has become a cultural icon, and any 'defect' will be blown WAY out of proportion by clueless media outlets and rabid Andrioid fans. Throughout all of this I sit smiling at my new toy. Its awesome. I feel bad for the people who have held off on a purchase, or for the people who have it and are letting it bother them, when they could just nudge their hand up a few millimetres and forget all about it. Im reminded just how much the media and the internet can influence people and create hysteria out of nothing.

If you are on the fence get an iPhone 4 and prepare to be impressed. If you are a rational human being, then you too might sit back with your new toy and think "are they for real?"

Enjoy :cool:

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I agree for the most part. I've had several dropped calls due to "holding it wrong" and AT&T being overloaded the past week but all in all I think the phone itself is great.

If Apple cares about their reputation, they'll address this issue in some way other than "don't hold it that way".

3. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

On the Internet? You must be joking! ;)

Is it a real effect? Yes. Is it being blown out of proportion? Yes.

4. Apple iMe thread starter macrumors newbie

See I hear a lot about how bad AT&T are. Im in the UK with Orange and have always gotten a great signal with them. I dunno if having a ****** network provider makes it a lot worse but here its all good :)

5. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

So far mine's great. I've got the bumper and only had the antenna issue happen once that I've noticed...but I try not to pay attention to it. Call quality is great...especially compared to my 3G. Still haven't been able to make a facetime call yet...

6. me2000 macrumors 6502

I agree.

At home, I don't lose any bars at all when I press hard in that one spot. At work with a poor signal, I lose maybe 1-2 bars.. but I don't lose service.

I've never dropped a call and never lost data service.

7. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

I'm in the US on AT&T and have excellent signal almost all of the time. No doubt that's not true for everyone, but you know that conclusion you drew about how the iPhone 4 problems were being blown out of proportion? It applies to AT&T problems as well.

8. me2000 macrumors 6502

I've never had any problems with AT&T. Very fast 3G speeds and no coverage issues for me.

I know that's not the case for everyone, but that small minority makes it out to be a huge problem for everyone.

9. keyofnight macrumors regular

keyofnight

I've never understood people like this. I mean: why would anyone feel good about someone else's misfortune when there is nothing to gain from it? I suppose they feel better because their phone is "better"—but I'm not sure why people try to insult another person's phone taste.

I mean, I love my phone and I don't like Android phones, but I recognize the Android OS as a worthy (although clunkier) competitor to iOS. Why can't it end there?

10. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

11. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

To the OP - you are definitely not alone.

I got my iPhone on Wednesday the 23rd and it has been working like a charm ever since. Absolutely love it. Amazingly fast (and i had a 3Gs), the new camera is awesome, the Facetime is actually pretty cool, etc.

The only complaint I have is that my iPhone 4 (with bumper) won't fit into my ProClip holder anymore, and ProClip hasn't released a new model yet.

Remember that there are LOTS of iPhone owners out there. (1.7 million so far, according to Apple) Just like not EVERY iMac 27" i7 had a bad display, not ever iPhone user has reception problems.

12. Kinkade macrumors member

I love the new iPhone. So far I have experienced far less dropped calls then before. I am even able to place calls in places I never was able to before.

It really sucks for everyone with issues. AT&T still gives me crappy reception, and I still drop calls, but Apple's improvements have really made a difference in making it less crappy.

13. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

It's called the "MacRumors Effect" :D

It's a very powerful effect, be careful!

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to return that phone. There’s obviously something wrong with it, and you just haven’t inspected it closely. Send it to me and I’ll gladly sacrifice having a good phone to help a Brit out.:)

15. Mfear macrumors member

love mine, too..not a single problem for me.. i CAN'T even re-create the problem.. my gf has had a few dropped calls -- but it might have been from the location she was in (AT&T's fault, not Apples), because I can't recreate it even if i use all 10 fingers and do an ultimate-death grip on the phone...

Got her a bright pink bumper anyway.. :eek:

16. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

First off, I decided on a Bumper well in advance of the release date. Anyway I got my iPhone 4 a day early like many people did, so I had one full day of use with it naked.. I made maybe half a dozen calls, but also browsed the internet and checked emails and whatever while out and about on 3G. Never had a problem.

Next day, I went to my local Apple store and waited in the "other line" to get in to buy a Bumper.

I've been using my iPhone 4, with the exception of when I've messed about trying to replicate the antenna thing, in the Bumper ever since.

Not one complaint to register. It's been working as a phone as well or better than my 3GS ever did - and far better than my old Edge iPhone. I'm actually managing to stay on calls in areas that I used to know for sure my call would drop. "Hey, I'm about to lose you in two more blocks, I'll call you back... oh.. still there? Cool!"

Maybe we're just lucky?

17. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

I agree. I can recreate the problem but I dont hold the phone that way at all when I make calls so it has been a total non issue for me for phone calls. When I hold and use it, I have to be somewhat careful as my palm will sometimes bridge it, but for the most part even that has been no problem for me either. And on calls this thing outperforms my 2g,3g and 3gs phones in every way I can quantify, from call quality, to signal strength, to even how long it takes the call to go through is so much faster, faster than I have gotten out of any phone.

And don't get me started on the display, it's almost ruined looking at other LCDs (including my hires 17" mbp) for me

18. Ttados macrumors newbie

I don't even have an iPhone 4 yet but I already know I will be highly satisfied, if the only problem is the signal issue. I played with my sister's EVO, the only other phone I would consider buying, the other day and to be honest I really wasn't impressed. The screen size is too big in my opinion and Android isn't near as user friendly as iOS 4. I already plan on getting a case for my iPhone 4 so really there shouldn't be any problems. $200 for an amazing piece of hardware from Apple is quite the steal in my opinion.

19. drjsway macrumors 6502a

I know two dozen people in real life who are all happy with their phones. It's only on the Internet that everyone whines.

This issue really affects only a small segment of users because:

1. The majority do not cover the bottom left of the phone while making a call.
    2. Even if you cover the bottom left, you need to apply some force. You need to grip the phone really tightly.
    3. Some people are just not affected at all because the issue is related to the amount of moisture in your hand. The more moisture on your hand, the more it affects you.

20. Apple iMe thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad im not the only one who thinks this antenna thing has gotten way out of hand. Hell hath no fury like a nerd/fandroid scorned eh? :rolleyes:

21. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I don't think there's any problem with the hardware at all.

The iOS4 firmware is what's flawed. It is incorrectly reporting more signal than there really is so when people hold the phone in a death grip it drops down less gracefully than if the bars had been properly reported in the first place. This is a software issue that you bet Apple will fix. Also, you can hold any phone in a death grip and reproduce a drop in signal, some phones being more pronounced than others but that's all due to the software. The bar indicators on phones are not created equal, algorithms for calculating this vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even phone to phone. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

22. RC83 macrumors 6502

I have to agree... I have had ZERO problems with my phone... Yes the bars fluctuate, but I have not had any dropped calls, I love it.. Im actually going to ge my wife on here in a few days also!