I (almost) give up: syncing

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by gsusser, Dec 8, 2013.

1. gsusser macrumors regular

I know a lot has been said on the subject and I've said a few things myself. However, I've about reached my breaking point and would love it if someone could point me the way to someone at Apple to talk to.

I'm referring to syncing and the dreaded message generally at the end of the sync, "waiting for items to sync." Sometimes the message will end after a long time (an hour) and all will seemingly be ok, and sometimes it will continue indefinitely. I've tried virtually every suggestion here and from apple senior support. I have had the same problem for well over a year with 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. I've had syncing problems seemingly forever, back to 3 years ago when I had a MacBook Pro and after with my present computer, an iMac. However, the problem was not the same previously, i.e., waiting for items to sync., in the past year or so. It seems to be happening with more regularity now, like almost every time I want to completely change songs on my devices.

If I interrupt the "waiting for items to copy," I often get a huge amount of "other" indicated in the bar graph in iTunes showing the amount of audio, apps, etc.

I have a large library, almost 2TB and 80k songs. I don't know if that's the problem. I also have a 124gb iPad and 2 64gb iPhones. I rotate the songs every few weeks... I have about 15 playlists set up randomly so I can just switch playlists. As a result, I can rule out that corrupt songs are causing the problem unless there are a lot of corrupt songs.

Without exaggeration, I must have talked to 10 senior apple technicians. I'm covered by Apple Care on all but one of my 3 devices. It's always a very lengthy conversation and doing mostly the same things over and over with call backs necessary. And the problem doesn't get resolved.

The only way I can seem to resolve the issue is by doing a complete erase on the device and syncing my songs 1 playlist at a time. It's an incredibly lengthy process, especially when I try to sync normally at first and that fails - there went up to a few hours' time.

However, I'm not so sure about this method any longer. I sync'd my iPad yesterday, which took an entire day or about 15 hours. After completely erasing everything and restoring, I sync'd 1 playlist at a time as previously mentioned. I got the "waiting" message after each sync, but it eventually went away and all seemed fine. That is, until I checked my iPad. I should have had 22,000 songs (according to iTunes and a manual count of songs taking the totals from my playlists) but the iPad indicated only 12,000.

If it is not an inherent problem with every version of iTunes and/or every OS in the last few years, the only other thing I can think of is that's my computer. I am flinging my hands up in the air at this point and begging for a phone number of someone to talk to who can help. Most of the senior iTunes reps claim they are unaware of the problem, which is baffling to me.

2. desertman macrumors 6502a

My guess is that it is not your computer but your iTunes library file (iTunes Music Library.xml). How about creating a new user on your Mac, importing your songs to iTunes here (and by this creating a new iTunes library file) and then trying to sync to one of your iOS devices? You might have to reset the iOS device for that and you probably have to recreate the playlists.

3. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response. I tried this with an Apple advisor about a year ago. Obviously, it didn't work.

4. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

Interesting problem. You definitely have a larger library than most users.

Have you tried out iTunes Match? You have been very diligent and probably spent a lot of time trying to solve your problems, and I feel like the relatively low cost of $25/yr might be worth it.

I speak from experience, as I was in a similar situation. iTunes Match worked well for me. There is a limit of 25,000 songs (however, any songs purchased on iTunes do not count towards this limit). For me, I was able to narrow down my main library to fit this limit, and left the other songs for archival purposes. This also removed the need for me to sync my multiple iDevices (3 in my case), as everything was stored in a central location, which was very convenient. No major issues with matching or anything. My songs range from widely available, to rare self-published releases and concert bootlegs.

If the 25k song limit is too much of a barrier, I have read that many users have found success with Amazon's cloud player. Hopefully Apple removes this limit soon.

5. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

Excuse my ignorance, how does Amazon's cloud player work? However, I don't believe that moving my songs or library will do any good. I've already done that. Besides, wouldn't using a cloud to store 1.6TB (not 2TB as I mentioned) be cost prohibitive? I specifically bought the iMac with the big hard drive so I could fit my library on it. It was previously on an external drive. I changed when I switched from using a MB Pro to the iMac.

My library could probably be reduced by 25k songs also. However, it would be a huge undertaking and I still haven't made up my mind if I want to delete a lot of songs. For example, there are a number of occasions where I have multiple versions of a song. That's because of 1 of 2 reasons. The song is on more than one album -- like, a "best of" and the original album and possibly a compilation. Also, before the OS offered the choice of automatically resizing the song to a smaller size when copying to an external device, I made 2 copies of every new album... a lossless version to listen to at home and a 128k or 256k version for the external device.

I hesitate to delete the copies that are on multiple albums because then I'll be breaking up an album. However, I would love to eliminate the songs I made duplicates of to fit on an external device. However, I don't know of a program that will help me do this easily. Anyhow, that's 10k songs at most, a dent but not a big dent.