i always wanted a mbp, but.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tjespo22, Dec 19, 2007.

1. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

After i put 1 gb of ram in my ibook, its not as bad. its actually pretty good now. I also have 100gb hard drive for it that my friend gave me. So now im looking into a iMac 24". What do you think? i could put the imac on my desk, and still use my ibook to roam around the house, or to bring it places.

Thanks
    espo

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

The iBook will be great with 1 GB, and last a long time, So if it's not gonna break the bank, get an iMac. :)

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree with Cassie. Keep the iBook and get the iMac.

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I also think it's a good idea to get an iMac for a desktop and keep the iBook for lighter uses. This way you get the best of both worlds: a powerful desktop and a light portable. The iBook is better than the mbp for portable uses because it's smaller and lighter, while the iMac is a more capable desktop than the mbp and you get a lot more bang for the buck. Plus, no constant plugging and unplugging every time you want to check MR on the couch ;).

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The 14" iBook was 5.9 lb, 12.7 x 10.2 x 1.35 inches

The 15" MBP is 5.4 lb, 14.1 x 9.6 x 1 inches

:rolleyes:
    The iBook's screen sure is smaller, but not much else. MBP only loses out on width, but it does have the bigger screen to accommodate. MBP's lighter too. Myth busted!

Now if we're talking about the 12", you could have a point to make. But the MBP would still only be half a pound heaver, with a screen 3 inches bigger, thinner and craploads more power!

6. sas76 macrumors member

I have this exact setup, my good old 12" ibook and my new 20" iMac.

I love the new iMac, and I still use the ibook at home if I am on the lounge or in bed. Plus I take it to show pic's and vid's to friends etc.

With the iMac I love having everything plugged in and ready to go, Video camera, ext hardrive, I don't know how I lasted so long without a desktop computer.
    Cheers
    ss