I am a complete and utter ass!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ancatdubh2, May 24, 2007.

1. ancatdubh2 macrumors newbie

I was playing with my docking station and creating aliases of some of my most-used programs (specifically, Apple Mail) on my desktop and I ended up accidentally dragging the original application to the trash (instead of the alias). I never noticed it because the existing icon in the docking station was obviously opening the application that was sitting in the trash folder. However, once that trash was emptied, the icon no longer worked, and that's when I noticed my Mail program was really just an empty alias. HELP! What do I do now? I already know I'm a total buffoon. How do I get Mail back on my computer? I looked around the web to download it. I haven't checked any of my original CDs. Can I get it from there? Please don't tell me I need to reinstall my entire operating system. That would suck hardcore. =( Please assist this loser....

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You can get it from the install disks without having to reinstall the whole OS

3. oliverlubin macrumors regular

im sure you'll get more flack for calling it a docking station instead of just "the dock" but that's beside the point.

mail should be available on the original DVDs that came with your computer. if you put them in and run the installer (you can do it w/o having to booth from the DVD) for just the Applications part. You'll probably be able to select just Mail.

good luck and as a tip, aliases are pointless when you have the Dock available. they just clutter the desktop. and you dont have to create an alias to then add that to the Dock, just drag and drop any application from the Apps folder onto the Dock and it will create the "link."

4. ancatdubh2 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, oliver. i have definitely learned my lesson!

5. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Use Pacifist to get the Mail program back without reinstalling everything.

Nuc

6. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I belive you can install it anyway, without extracting it. :)

7. ancatdubh2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for all your help, everyone. Actually, I was able to use the original install disc (without Pacifist). Initially, Mail wasn't one of the programs you could install by choosing "Install Apps" (vers. install mac os x & apps), but there was a third option which allowed you to install certain apps and Mail was one of them.

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Docking station? I thought you were talking about an iPod and thought hw the hell has he got the icon on the iPod dock? :eek:

I agree with you. You are a complete ass. :p