I am a curry addict , are you ??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by marbles, Sep 4, 2008.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I admit I am a curry addict and have learned over the last ten years or so to cook what I consider to be the best style of food available to man .

Recently I've been learning how to cook some of the variety of breads which accompany a curry meal ...Naan of varying flavours are my favourite .

I will share a quick and easy version of naan that I use when I just need a lamb kebab.this stuff keeps in the fridge ok for a day or so.

I've just had one and thought I'd share the recipe .

For the filling I always use lamb( about a half pound for this recipe) cut into half inch cubes which I soak in a little yoghurt( I use goats) enough to coat the meat
    add 1 tspn of coriander seed ( cilantro I think you USA guys call it),
    1 tspn black pepper ,
    1 tspn white pepper ,
    half a tspn of chilli powder ,
    2 & a half tspn of cumin ,
    1 tspn of sea salt
    and a tspn of turmeric ( freshly ground spices will taste nicer , alter the spices to your liking, obviously , but the above gives you a medium spiceyness and is my fave mix

let the lamb mix marinate in the yoghurt/spice mix for at least 2 hours or as long as possible , then as you put in the first naan bread put the lamb in a hot pan and let it cook but try not to move it about too much , flip when one side of the lamb chunks are done ( check the naan now)

the lamb should be ready as the first naan is coming out the oven

Spread some butter over the naan , add some lettuce a little cruchy coleslaw or a bit of thinly sliced red & or green cabbage ( for crunchyness) and away you go ....

for the naan you will need

450g ( 1lb)self raising flour
    2.5ml 91 tspn)baking powder
    30 ml ( 2tblspn)melted ghee or oil
    60 ml (4 tblspn) plain natural yoghurt
    2 eggs whisked up
    150 ml ( quart pint)cold water
    5 ml ( 1tspn)sea salt

sift the flour salt & baking powder into a bowl , add the ghee (or oil) yoghurt & the beaten eggs and mix a little bit, then start to add the water a little at a time till you get a soft dough or you could just lob it all in a food processor( use a bit less water if you do whizz it up )

give the dough a good kneed ( pressing hard/pushing and mixing) with your hands for a few minutes till it go's springy ( 3-4 mins should suffice )

Put a baking tray in the oven at the top & get your oven mad hot , if you have a separate grill heat that up too , if not , no worries .

Divide the dough up into about six pieces of roughly the same size . roll the dough pieces into a thin ( 3 millimetres ish) tear drop shape or a triangle , whatever just roll it all out nice and thin .

Slap your first Naan onto the hot baking tray and slap it back in the oven for about 4 minutes remove the tray from the oven and place it , under the grill for a minute to finish cooking ( or just leave it in the oven for an extra minute)

You can freeze these no bother , just re heat in hot oven for 4 minutes once defrosted.

hope you like it

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Nice post/detailed recipe!

Now you are making me crave curry and I am eating a good lasagna! :eek:

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

As a HUGE fan of Red Dwarf, I had to try Curries. My Favorite is Chicken Vindaloo (and I love the story behind it), but I also enjoy a simple Chicken Curry. I've also used naan to make a Curry Burrito when I was in a hurry one day.

Coriander Seed is not cilantro. Cilantro is a leaf of the Cilantro leaf, which I believe is native to the American Continents.

I've never tried a Yogurt/Yoghurt based curry (usually sold here as a Tandori) since I have this thing about cooked milk.

Now you're convincing me to cook some curry tonight and drive all my Mexican neighbors crazy (not to mention the Mexican restaurant downstairs).

Side story about Curry... My dad has a sensitivity to overly spiced foods two hot chili packets in two gallons of chili is about his limit. However, he loves curry, now that I have introduced him to it, and some of the curries I've made have been close to too hot for me, but he still enjoys them.

TEG

4. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Thanks Ishater ,I appreciate the kind words ......oh and TEG if you like em hot try a Sambal ;) hotter than a vindy you will look a little like this :eek: after eating one unless you have an asbestos mouth :D

thanks for the heads up on the cilantro thing ......I wasn't sure .

The yoghurt just serves to tenderize the meat which it does beautifully and doesn't really affect the flavour too much , it's not like you can taste milk in there .....give it a go , I think you will like this recipe , especially if you are a fan of the ol vindy

every time I watch Red Dwarf it gives me the muchies for a curry, I had to ban myself from watching it at one point

I used to like the hot stuff , but have mellowed a bit and prefer to taste the range of spices in a meal now, getting the right mix is a little like alchemy
    The Korai , done properly , is a favourite of mine , served with a keema naan ....oh no ....got to make another kebab now..........

5. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I'm West Indian so I eat a different type of curry, but yeah, i'm addicted :)

6. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

I love it all , rice n peas with curried goat rules, the recipe above is just my quick fix

7. Cobol to Java macrumors newbie

Cobol to Java

Wooo

Curry! Curry! I love curry. Thanks for the recipe.

8. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I've never had it.
    Though I'm always up for trying new things.

I live in a area around a LOT of cajuns, and at just the mention of curry, people start fake gagging.

Not really sure why, but it has always scared me away from trying it.

Sounds decent though.

I'll give it a run one of these days.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i like curry and naan bread. but i cant have it to hot. my brother once brought home hot curry made by an Indian mother from work… and boy was it hot! i got all teary, my nose started running and it made my teeth hurt! :eek:

10. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

your welcome

I'm not sure why either tbh , cajun food is not that different from curry ....I like me a good gumbo too ;)

See the thing is if curry is too hot you don't taste anything ...but the hot ones are good if your sick .makes you sweat it all out !, I always go mad hot veggie curry if I have a cold or feel run down,works most everytime ..... chilli speeds up your metabolic rate , apparently.

Go for a Korma (or something like that) ,which is kind of an introduction to curry, it is a creamy, buttery curry with almonds & sometimes has bananas or raisins in too, the ones I make for my children has coconut cream in also

11. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

NICE, I love naan with curry, especially with rice!! Thanks for recipe!!

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

13. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Haha, maybe that's why then.

Maybe they are jealous. :p

14. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I've been known to make curried scrambled tofu w/ peppers and onions on a broiled Kaiser roll for a late breakfast on weekends. I love curried chicken, curried vegetables too. Thanks for these recipes, gonna try them!

But if I get a bad cold some time, i usually just put a nice fat swath of wasabi on some rice. Talk about a nose job... creates a whole new nasal passage, and it's tastier than some weird collection of chemicals in a medicine.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Butter Chicken FTW!

Joking. :p I really LOVE Shahi Baingan. It's by far my favourite Indian dish, and definitely the best eggplant dish I have ever tried, regardless of cuisine. :) It's not really a "curry", per se, but it's Indian, and goes well with rice or naan, so there you go.

16. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

no worries

thanks for the link ..funny vid that

Sounds nice the Tofu pepper thing , recipe ?

Ah now , butter chicken has it's place :p
    Just googled Shahi Baingan , sounds good , I'll try that .

Curry I suppose just means gravy doesn't it ? , I just love the alchemy that is creating some of these dishes Indian or not ,it's all good .

17. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I had to learn how to cook curry as there is a lack of it where I live.

Curry mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

But Im on a diet so need to be a little careful

18. garybUK Guest

garybUK

mmm curry, im hungry now! :p

I love Jalfrezi and Madras. Favourite meal is a Chicken Sashlik with Madras Sauce.

I might try your recipe this weekend.

Can't beat a good ruby!

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Everyone in my family loves the stuff. I love the smell.

I don't like it :eek:

20. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

21. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Worked in Apartments of residents that used this. The smell lingers and is difficult to get rid of. So no, not a fan of it.

22. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

I love curry in Thai food. Like red curry in Panang, and peanut curry in Mus-sa-mun.

23. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

i have been looking for a carribean curry recipe does anyone know of one? i have looked but couldn't find anything.

24. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

25. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Love all those you mentioned .

Easy for you to get decent curry no ? .....just nip down the mile in Rusholme :cool: ( I lived in MCR in the early 90's baggy days ;)