Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I just took delivery of my 11" i5 128SSD, trading in my 2010 1.86 128SSD 13"

I have been on the fence about wanting the 11" ever since I purchased the 13" 6 months ago. So I justified my $400 extra cost after trade in to buy the new machine.

I am very pleased with the size of this machine. I have been glued to the screen for the last 3 1/2 hours and it seems as easy to read and maneuver as the 13". But much smaller package to handle with. This is a big bonus for me since I have the laptop with me in my daily work, carrying from place to place 8 hours a day.

First things I notice;

At the power up chime, those speakers are in a tin cup, lol... No worries for me , Angry Birds sounded just fine.

I got the LG screen were I had the Samsung Screen. To be honest this screen looks better then the 13". I tried a few color profiles, I have SuperCal, but I end up back to the original. I can get deeper colors but then my photo's are too dark. Honestly the default is a good as I think it can get, and it is Real GOOD!

So far the computer is running very cool, as cool as my C2D , 46C at the moment.

Again, I am really digging this size.

Cheers!

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

I got the LG screen were I had the Samsung Screen. To be honest this screen looks better then the 13". I tried a few color profiles, I have SuperCal, but I end up back to the original. I can get deeper colors but then my photo's are too dark. Honestly the default is a good as I think it can get, and it is Real GOOD!

Cheers!

Yeah the whole screen thing is looney. You adjust after a day.
(what a waste of time)

Sinnthetic

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
Fullscreen Safari internet browsing is truly bliss.

Its like Lion and the new MBA were made for each other.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fullscreen Safari internet browsing is truly bliss.

Its like Lion and the new MBA were made for each other.

I really think it was designed with the Airs in mind. Basically 13" and lower are the ones that truly benefit from things like full screen and certain gestures and such.

Full screen on a 27" iMac is actually counter-productive.

I LOVE Lion on my MBA, while I am still contemplating downgrading to SL on my iMac

johnadams2007

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
congrats on the plunge! i think ill see what next revision brings to the table in the graphics department. since my main use of my mba is gaming on the go, the 2011 would be a step back for me =[

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
congrats on the plunge! i think ill see what next revision brings to the table in the graphics department. since my main use of my mba is gaming on the go, the 2011 would be a step back for me =[

I've heard that Intel is looking for a 30% improvement in CPU and GPU power with the Ivy Bridge. With Haswell they are saying that the GPU will perform at least as well as any existing (i.e. 2011) mobile discrete GPU. We'll see if they can deliver.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Dear Hypocrite, ;)

Please keep us updated on your ongoing thoughts about 11" vs 13". Those that have owned both sizes tend to have the best comparison info.

Thanks!

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD

I have been on the fence about wanting the 11" ever since I purchased the 13" 6 months ago. So I justified my $400 extra cost after trade in to buy the new machine.

I am very pleased with the size of this machine. I have been glued to the screen for the last 3 1/2 hours and it seems as easy to read and maneuver as the 13". But much smaller package to handle with. This is a big bonus for me since I have the laptop with me in my daily work, carrying from place to place 8 hours a day.

First things I notice;

At the power up chime, those speakers are in a tin cup, lol... No worries for me , Angry Birds sounded just fine.

So far the computer is running very cool, as cool as my C2D , 46C at the moment.

Again, I am really digging this size.

Cheers!

Hey, that's funny, I did the very same! Only i had 256 and stayed 256 and have an i7. Sooooo, I do think I qualify to be a hypocrite as well?!
I always wanted the 11" but the 2010 version only had 128Gb which was simply not enough for me.
Some things I've noted (some are similar):
- screen is just as good, perhaps a bit better, a bit less washed out?!;
- 11" is smaller (duh) but for taking minutes, surfing, emailing and all it works pretty good, better than I expected, for making large documents/complicated plans, I intend to buy the Tunderbolt Cinema when it arrives;
- battery life is serious less, I travel a lot and that is a minor set back, but a hyper-juice battery (60Wh, the 11" has 35Wh on board) and a hyper car charger, I'm good to go anywhere;
- the 11" is just an inch or so smaller, but somehow it is so much easier to handle, carry and stow in a bag;
- it's noticeably faster than my 13" ultimate from 2010;
- temperature hasn't been a problem, and I've been using and pushing it hard, copying 150Gb of files and stuff, spotlight indexing as fast as possible, iTunes on for some music, me surfing and emailing etc. It makes much less noise than the 2010 13", it takes much longer for the fan's to kick in and the temperature on the top left of the keyboard is warm, it's a nice 25C day today, but I could hold my hand without a problem. And according to the guys with temperature problems the thermal paste has yet to set, so it will get less warm. iStat menu's told me the temperature was at some point 93, hitting 96 once and then slowly getting back to 89 and eventually 86 (all in celsius), when the CPU was constant 100%.

All in all I really love this laptop. My 13" traveled with me everywhere, from out of country trips to coffee at my in-laws, from hiking to business visits to clients.
When being active, 300gr. is a nice amount to save, without loosing functionality (like on an iPad).
When I'm visiting clients, I find the smaller footprint and the smaller/lower screen to be a big advantage, you'll have less of a wall between you and your client. I always put my laptop to the side to prevent that, but when you need to type a lot, that doesn't work.
Ow and I'm typing this in bed, wife snoring loudly (she's allowed to do that, she's pregnant) and BACKLIGHT KEYS ALL THE WAY! I had gotten used to doing without it, but man do I like backlit keys!

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
- the 11" is just an inch or so smaller, but somehow it is so much easier to handle, carry and stow in a bag;
-
When I'm visiting clients, I find the smaller footprint and the smaller/lower screen to be a big advantage, you'll have less of a wall between you and your client.
Keep in mind that it's an inch by an inch and a half smaller. Collectively it really does seem to make a difference.

I'm glad you mentioned visiting clients. I've been wondering if it's better to have a larger screen or a smaller footprint when visiting clients. I wondered if having the smaller footprint would be better.

Congrats on the upcoming little one. And I'm not referring to a laptop! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.