Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superhuman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
I'm usually on here for iPod related discussions, but I have recently come across an issue with a Mac. I am a PC user, so my knowledge of Macs is fairly limited, but I am *slightly* better off than most because I used a lot of Macs in elementary school so I have some primitive experience with the fundamentals of the OS. On to my question...

I just got done setting up a wireless network for a friend and the PCs on the network are running fine. However, my friend's sister has a Mac laptop (I think it's a MacBook, but I'm not positive). She is getting a poor signal from the Netgear router, even when she is only feet away. I have the same router set up the same way at my home and the signal is good all over the house.

A lot of the time when I run into networking problems on PCs, they are the result of a bunch of extraneous programs, spyware, and/or viruses ravaging the computer. From the commercials, I'm guessing this is not the case for Macs. Any ideas on what the cause of this could be?

Thanks in advance!

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
Sadly you are correct there is little chance that software would cause signal attenuation at that distance

First off determine the age and version of the computer by clicking the apple in the top right hand corner and click about this mac.

If its anything older than OSX 10.2 then there is a high likely hood she needs a new internal or external wifi card.

superhuman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Sadly you are correct there is little chance that software would cause signal attenuation at that distance

First off determine the age and version of the computer by clicking the apple in the top right hand corner and click about this mac.

If its anything older than OSX 10.2 then there is a high likely hood she needs a new internal or external wifi card.

Thanks for the response... I will look into that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.