Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Auroradd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
I just got my new MBP after months of waiting and lurking around the forum... so I am typing this on my brand new 2.4G SR MBP and I couldn't be happier. I love the new screen, the response, everything!

Previously I had a Sony Vaio FX laptop, about 6 years old so this is huge for me. I'm sure I will have lots of questions about switching that I haven't been able to get yet from lurking, so bear with me. :)

I went to the new Apple Store Grand opening in San Luis Obispo, CA today and was their first laptop purchase... feel like a dork but it totally made my week. :p

BrianMR

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
USA
Me three! Its an amazing machine.

I hope we're an indication of a large number of Apple switchers. I know the notebook sales have been on a tear lately, and hopefully the 1-3 day delays in the online store mean the factories are running flat-out.

M!K

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
Canada
omg! i'm so jalous of you all!!! i got mine ordered (MBP) today and it's supose to arrive in two weeks (because i'm in Canada and i used my education discount). i can hardly wait!!!

Many people were saying that they were having problem with the MBP. Please tell me that's not true ?!

Mik:apple:

nickfit

macrumors member
May 31, 2003
Was thinking of dropping into the new SLO store today, but unsure if they would dig me bringing in my dog. However, I thought I saw non-cinema displays, but it was from accross the street. I'm afraid, though, if I do walk in and see the new mbp, I'll be popping my 1st gen aluminum g4 on ebay. Four years of good service, time for an upgrade.

Auroradd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Oh, I asked about that... dogs and food are ok.

I desperately needed a new computer - the sony was about to die and I refuse to go to a Vista machine. I had been looking for about 3 months, and then heard the rumors about the SR update, and waited another 2 months for them to release it.

So now I have to get all my necessary pc stuff off my computer and transfer it... my biggest issue is my iTunes gak. My ipod is pc formatted and has tons of songs on it, but my computer doesn't hold my library because I only had a 20G hard drive. So I have to figure out how to get the songs off the ipod onto the mac (or pc), re format the ipod, and put them all back. ick.

So far I haven't had a problem - everthing looks and feels great. I am at work right now and haven't really been able to vet it, but my copy of office installed beautifully, so that's promising. I'm not going to send in my printer/nano rebate with the UPC until I check things out.

I did buy the apple care, just in case... might be a rip but my roomie was sure thrilled to have her warrenty when her dog chewed the corner of screen and turned the lcd black!

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006

I desperately needed a new computer - the sony was about to die and I refuse to go to a Vista machine. I had been looking for about 3 months, and then heard the rumors about the SR update, and waited another 2 months for them to release it.

So now I have to get all my necessary pc stuff off my computer and transfer it... my biggest issue is my iTunes gak. My ipod is pc formatted and has tons of songs on it, but my computer doesn't hold my library because I only had a 20G hard drive. So I have to figure out how to get the songs off the ipod onto the mac (or pc), re format the ipod, and put them all back. ick.

So far I haven't had a problem - everthing looks and feels great. I am at work right now and haven't really been able to vet it, but my copy of office installed beautifully, so that's promising. I'm not going to send in my printer/nano rebate with the UPC until I check things out.

I did buy the apple care, just in case... might be a rip but my roomie was sure thrilled to have her warrenty when her dog chewed the corner of screen and turned the lcd black!

Macs can read pc formatted ipods. AppleCare won't cover dogs eating your computer!

Auroradd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
I know they can read it, but what about transferring songs for the future? Still ok?

I had itunes 7.1... don't know if it makes a difference.

Tech607

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006

Absolutely not a rip, especially for a delicate laptop. What if you drop it! Plus Applecare supports the Apple Apps. No other manufacture supports the apps that come with the computer. Great for a switcher when you run into problems. Just my two cents!

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
You will probably need a program to extract the music, and then have it sync to the mac. If someone else could suggest a method, it would be appreciated. Right now I don't have a mac, so not too helpful. Hope to be ordering my MBP soon though.

iMouse

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Boardman, Ohio
Copying iTunes Music from PC to Mac

All you have to do to move the iTunes music and data from a Windows box to a Mac is the following...

1. Copy the entire iTunes folder in My Documents/My Music to the Music folder on your Mac.
Note: If you have already opened iTunes on your Mac, delete the iTunes folder in Music and the com.apple.iTunes.plist file in Users/yourusername/Preferences

2. All versions of iTunes for Mac and Windows create a iTunes Library file in the iTunes folder. Some Windows versions create one with a .itl extension on it. After the iTunes folder has copied to your Mac, remove the .itl extension on the iTunes Library file inside the iTunes folder.

3. Open iTunes. Everything should port over without a problem, including all of the authorization information for purchased music. All you need to do is set your iTunes preferences to how you like. =)

4. Resync your Windows-formatted iPod.

Atomic-Ed

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
I just got my new MBP after months of waiting and lurking around the forum... so I am typing this on my brand new 2.4G SR MBP and I couldn't be happier. I love the new screen, the response, everything!

Previously I had a Sony Vaio FX laptop, about 6 years old so this is huge for me. I'm sure I will have lots of questions about switching that I haven't been able to get yet from lurking, so bear with me. :)

I went to the new Apple Store Grand opening in San Luis Obispo, CA today and was their first laptop purchase... feel like a dork but it totally made my week. :p

That is terrific! I love to hear good things like people being so happy with their new technology. Mine is in transit right now so I am awaiting its arrival on the 13th. I remember the old Sony FX series, man were they heavy.

Well good luck with your new machine!

Auroradd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
That is terrific! I love to hear good things like people being so happy with their new technology. Mine is in transit right now so I am awaiting its arrival on the 13th. I remember the old Sony FX series, man were they heavy.

Well good luck with your new machine!

I figured if I was going to buy I was going to go big... got the airport express and everything. :D And since I went from a 20g Fat32 partioned drive and 512ghz ram machine with xp service pack 1 to this beautiful, sparkling piece of machinery, I am in geek heaven.

Count me in as a mac fangirl!

Atomic-Ed

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
I figured if I was going to buy I was going to go big... got the airport express and everything. :D And since I went from a 20g Fat32 partioned drive and 512ghz ram machine with xp service pack 1 to this beautiful, sparkling piece of machinery, I am in geek heaven.

That is so cool a switch from what you had. I won't be getting mine till the 13th according to fedex tracking, but I am starting to consider getting the airport unit too. My current router is a 54g netgear which works great with my PCs but I am starting to wonder if it is going to work well with the macbook pro. I have read some threads here talking about finicky wireless with wep and such so I am thinking about going up to our local apple store tomorrow and grap a airport to have on hand in case my netgear doesn't work. Are you getting good wireless functionality with your airport and new macbook pro?

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
London

"... I kill you right now for 512ghz ram my friend!!!
Maybe I kill you three times for it maaaaaan !!!..."

:D :D :D

cApO

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
omg! i'm so jalous of you all!!! i got mine ordered (MBP) today and it's supose to arrive in two weeks (because i'm in Canada and i used my education discount). i can hardly wait!!!
Mik:apple:

When i ordered my mb it was estimated to ship in around 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks to but i got it within 4 days. I think apple overestimate the shipping time just to be safe. I think you might get a nice surprise later next week ;)

matthewinnj

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2007
Western NJ
I'm in the same boat

And since I went from a 20g Fat32 partioned drive and 512ghz ram machine with xp service pack 1 to this beautiful, sparkling piece of machinery, I am in geek heaven.

I'm in the same boat. I went from a Dell Inspiron 2650 - 512MB/1.7Ghz/30GB/16MB VRAM XP SP2 to

MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D SR/2GB/160GB/256MB VRAM plus built-in wireless, Bluetooth, lighted keyboard, better battery, much better display, better OS, better aesthetics, better design, better trackpad, Firewire ports, CD and DVD burning, remote, better speakers, magnetic power cord, built in camera, and while it's not dependent on Windows, I can run that too.

I'll be receiving my Airport Extreme on Tuesday, and for the first time, be untethered and online.

So very pleased with this purchase! Well worth every single penny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.