I am a Noob...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jaki54321, Jun 6, 2008.

1. jaki54321 macrumors newbie

1st off, hello to all. I am a new Mac user. I bought a new 2008 iMac (details below), and I don't know what I am doing. I have learned a few things on my own, but I was wondering if there is anything that u guys can recommend. I am a gamer also, that is the reason for such a powerful mac. Anyway, anything that u can recommend would be great. Thanks :D

Imac 2008
    Intel 2 Core Duo 3.06Ghz
    4gb memory
    1tb hardrive space
    Nvidia 8800gs with 512mb memory

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

what exactly are you having trouble figuring out?
    what would you like recommended?

give a starting point at least, or take a look around the forums for a lot of info and tips scattered throughout.

3. jaki54321 thread starter macrumors newbie

anything fun to do on it. I just got it a day ago and I have the slightest idea what to put on it, what is recommended. I think I am gonna have to try to find an apple store somewhere in town.

4. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

If you haven't already, get yourself a copy of "Mac OS X - The Missing Manual" by David Pogue (should be available from all good bookstores or Amazon or similar!)

This is the best book on OS X, especially for 'new' Mac users (i.e. if this is your first Mac, or you've never used Mac OS before). It goes through the operating system and most of the bundled applications to show you how to use them, and also gives tips on what you can do with your new Mac.

Highly recommended!

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Ok well download iStat Pro or mini, Transmission, Onyx is good too for maintenance and Firefox :p

Other than that, I haven't a clue what you are having trouble with.

If you just want to explore, go ahead and try iLife suite, or go try Photo Booth. That's really fun. I can't get enough of it. It's so darn funny everytime I open it up

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Assuming you were a PC user, for general info on using a Mac a good book would be "Switching to the Mac" The Missing Manual, Leopard Edition (Missing Manual) by David Pogue (Paperback - 26 Feb 2008) This can be bought through Amazon.

FJ .. :)

8. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

if you have any valve games like HL2, get crossover games and install steam.

9. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

10. daltontrundle macrumors newbie

bootcamp

run bootcamp

install windows on half of your hard drive and use that for gaming

Mac support for games is nowhere near what it needs to be. With all the updates and point releases and such. Use windows for gaming.

11. daltontrundle macrumors newbie

Oh, should mention that I am a newb too

thanks for the websites. I need all the hints I can get.

Maybe you shouldn't take a newb's advice. But I have talked to a few people who just don't game on mac. And what little experience I have has been less than fabulous.

12. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

handbrake is a good program to rip your dvds to your imac and roxio toast is a good program for burning your cd's and dvd. Its kind of like nero if you have used that on a pc before.

13. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Add Adium for IM and NeoOffice for an office suit.

Click on the :apple: in the upper left hand corner and play around with your general settings.

14. jaki54321 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for this website, it helped me out a lot. Yes I am a switcher as apple would call us (confirmed by apple). I worked a lot on windows based pc's, so this is all new to me. Thank you all for the suggestions, it helped out a lot :)