I am a potential SWITCHER

Iku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
15
0
So i'm in the market for a high end laptop. The high end function is for gaming purposes. I have looked at the Alienware site and REALLY like the Aurora m9700m. 1gh dedicateted video!! , I mean holy crap and all. Any way, I have always like the concept of the mac, (OS, Applecare, new ideas), but I am at a loss. As I compare the Alienware systems to the Macbook Pro systems, the Alienware systems SMOKE the Macbook Pro systems. Alienware has the core 2 duo chips and screaming video cards. I looked to see if there was an option to upgrade the video cards in Macbook Pros but it seems the fastest card they have is the ATI 1600...bleh. Also these systems are at about the same price. So Mac people, I am going to buy a laptop this week, and I would like to buy a Mac, but the Macbook pro system seems like a generation behind some of the PC systems, what am I missing, or is Mac still not quite to the point where a gamer should give apple money?

Thanks for any insight from a potential Mac owner.
 

nitynate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2006
866
0
Clearwater, FL
Dude.

Screw the Alienware.


It's prolly thick and ugly and will be slow with Windows in 2 months.


Just quit the gaming scene, get a real life outside your home, and use a MBP as a computer to compute.

Not to waste your lonely sad life away.


My life is 100% better after I stopped gaming. And I have never looked back.
 

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
366
0
nitynate said:
Dude.

Screw the Alienware.


It's prolly thick and ugly and will be slow with Windows in 2 months.


Just quit the gaming scene, get a real life outside your home, and use a MBP as a computer to compute.

Not to waste your lonely sad life away.


My life is 100% better after I stopped gaming. And I have never looked back.
What's your problem? If he wants to play computer games who are you to tell him to get a "real life"? You're posting on Mac forums. Pot calling the kettle black.

Anyway, yeah, don't bother with a MBP if you're buying a laptop for gaming. OS X underperforms in all the games when you compare it to Windows, anyway.

If you want something stylish but less powerful... MBP is fine. For gaming, go for an AlienWare or something else like that.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
extraextra said:
If your purpose is gaming, stick with Windows.
Bingo. MacOS is nice but since I've switched I also found that I gamed a lot less. Even though it is possible with dual booting it is just not worth the hassle. (ok I am quite anal about leaving my Mail running constantly in the background, but even if you are not a workaholic like me there are tons of nice mac apps that will not be available during your dual boot, and that is quite a bummer... who on earth only games when running a game? You'd miss out on that pretty Adium, or can't run your tv recording schedules with EyeTV while with Windows... etc... :rolleyes: )
 

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
3,941
248
Denmark
So, do you want to switch or just compare hardware specifications? :p

Currently the MacBook Pro is the best you get from Apple. It is still (im my opinion) the best designed notebook. The thinnest (1" thick) and probably also the lightest 15.4" notebook.

I am still impressed how they crammed that case full of all these features but somehow you deserve that 2.5" thick Alienware with a batterylife of 30 minutes...

My last point is that the MacBook Pro runs both Mac OSX and Windows.
 

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
3,859
3
A MacBook Pro will be faster with Core Duo than the Alienware with a Core 2 Duo.

I've found the MacBook Pro to be quite good with gaming actually. It runs Doom 3 full res fine, and as long as you get the 15" version, you shouldn't have any problems with high resolutions causing reduced framerates.


Plus, a friend of mine at school got a £2500 Alienware over the holidays, and so far since then it's died and had to be replaced twice. Both times he lost everything on the HDD, and one of the times was whilst he was using it in school.

Plus they are FUGLY™, and VERY VERY thick. They aren't so much as portables, more just poor desktop replacements.

Get the MacBook Pro! I can guarantee that you will like it!
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,546
88
Just a bit off topic but where can I check out some alienwares online? I personally have never heard of them myself
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
Next rev of MBP 'might' have x1800, but nonetheless - if your main focus is on gaming, then you should probably stick with the Alienware. I'm a gamer and going for the MBP, but that's because I have to get work done in addition to mid-end gaming. I also do need the portability, and the form factor of the MBP is a good thing for me.

C2D will be in MBPs soon/eventually, but your main focus will probably be the GPU anyways.

But for your situation, since you seem to be focused on hardcore gaming, I wouldn't go with the MBP. (I actually don't know if I would go with a notebook at all, since I'd want to upgrade if I wanted to do high-end gaming. After all, within a year or two, you'll definitely want a DX10 compatible graphics card.) Assuming you're going to treat your notebook as a desktop replacement and not a 'laptop', go with the one that has more muscle - the Alienware.
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,096
404
Is specification numbers all you look for in a laptop? Personally, I find the ease of use, visual appeal, peace of mind (no viruses), and less maintenance (auto-defrags, less driver troubles, etc) of the Mac OS worth a slight GPU downgrade (Radeon X1600 is not a bad card anyway and can run any game on the market today).

I'm a poweruser as well, and a gamer, but I'm purchasing an iMac for my next desktop (when I can scrounge up the money) and a MacBook in the next week. I've found that as long as the game runs in a decent resolution and high framerate (30-60 FPS) I don't care if the graphical settings are maxed out on the latest games.
 

dpope

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
65
0
A base MacBook? Not a MacBook pro? I'm not a gamer and I am thinking of getting an MBP or an MB preferably for portability and long battery life but one of my main objections to the MB is the shared graphics memory which I'm guessing will significantly effect OpenGL performance. I'm worried about OpenGL performance because I want to dual OS X and Linux and I want linux to run Xgl (which I'm currently running on an ati radeon mobility 9700 on a Sony). Can someone who is well informed on these things pipe in and let me/others know if the MB graphics card is any good at OpenGL or not? OS X running on OpenGL is much more efficient than Linux and Xgl is also still very much alpha/beta software but I still am worried that getting an MB would mean poor Xgl/graphics performance.
 

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
1,505
18
Paddyland
dpope said:
A base MacBook? Not a MacBook pro? I'm not a gamer and I am thinking of getting an MBP or an MB preferably for portability and long battery life but one of my main objections to the MB is the shared graphics memory which I'm guessing will significantly effect OpenGL performance. I'm worried about OpenGL performance because I want to dual OS X and Linux and I want linux to run Xgl (which I'm currently running on an ati radeon mobility 9700 on a Sony). Can someone who is well informed on these things pipe in and let me/others know if the MB graphics card is any good at OpenGL or not? OS X running on OpenGL is much more efficient than Linux and Xgl is also still very much alpha/beta software but I still am worried that getting an MB would mean poor Xgl/graphics performance.
:D :D :D Someone always take the bait!!!
 

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
3,265
0
Bookshop!
Iku said:
So Mac people, I am going to buy a laptop this week, and I would like to buy a Mac, but the Macbook pro system seems like a generation behind some of the PC systems, what am I missing, or is Mac still not quite to the point where a gamer should give apple money?
That system is not your standard notebook system. It has chips faster than the ones found in many standard PCs, a GPU more powerful, and Alienware somehow managed to stuff it into a 3" case and almost run it off a battery.

Apple is not lagging behind, they are way ahead of most of the competition. It could be said that Apple lag behind because they don't sell supercomputers the size of a dozen tennis courts.

If you really love gaming that much, get an alienware notebook (i can't understand how it could be used on your lap), or even better, a desktop.
 

Switching soon

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
3
0
Perth, Western Australia
Gaming problems on 17" MBP versus 15"

Killyp said:
A MacBook Pro will be faster with Core Duo than the Alienware with a Core 2 Duo.

I've found the MacBook Pro to be quite good with gaming actually. It runs Doom 3 full res fine, and as long as you get the 15" version, you shouldn't have any problems with high resolutions causing reduced framerates.


Plus, a friend of mine at school got a £2500 Alienware over the holidays, and so far since then it's died and had to be replaced twice. Both times he lost everything on the HDD, and one of the times was whilst he was using it in school.

Plus they are FUGLY™, and VERY VERY thick. They aren't so much as portables, more just poor desktop replacements.

Get the MacBook Pro! I can guarantee that you will like it!
Should I expect issues with the 17" MBP running Doom 3 re " high resolutions causing reduced framerates"? If so shouldn't I be able to adjust the screen resolution to eliminate this?

I'm leaning towards purchasing the 17" due to both the additional screen real estate as well as all reports seeming to indicate it as 'better' than the 15" (or at least less prone to the heat and other reported issues).

Hung up like some/most waiting for merom..... Patience will run out soon no doubt! :rolleyes:
 

beshyddaren

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2006
5
0
dpope said:
A base MacBook? Not a MacBook pro? I'm not a gamer and I am thinking of getting an MBP or an MB preferably for portability and long battery life but one of my main objections to the MB is the shared graphics memory which I'm guessing will significantly effect OpenGL performance. I'm worried about OpenGL performance because I want to dual OS X and Linux and I want linux to run Xgl (which I'm currently running on an ati radeon mobility 9700 on a Sony). Can someone who is well informed on these things pipe in and let me/others know if the MB graphics card is any good at OpenGL or not? OS X running on OpenGL is much more efficient than Linux and Xgl is also still very much alpha/beta software but I still am worried that getting an MB would mean poor Xgl/graphics performance.
The macbook graphics chip will run XGL/Compiz just fine. You can forget about gaming, though :)
 

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
366
0
Killyp said:
A MacBook Pro will be faster with Core Duo than the Alienware with a Core 2 Duo.
Honestly, are you just spouting off random propaganda? How is that even remotely true? Core 2 Duo is faster than Core Duo, plain and simple. Don't be stupid.

I've found the MacBook Pro to be quite good with gaming actually. It runs Doom 3 full res fine, and as long as you get the 15" version, you shouldn't have any problems with high resolutions causing reduced framerates.
Full resolution, yes. Full details, no. Good try though.

Plus, a friend of mine at school got a £2500 Alienware over the holidays, and so far since then it's died and had to be replaced twice. Both times he lost everything on the HDD, and one of the times was whilst he was using it in school.
And my MacBook Pro shuts down randomly in class. Does that mean you should avoid Apple altogether? No. At least Alienware replaced his laptop, I have to be without while Apple "fixes" all the problems.

Plus they are FUGLY™, and VERY VERY thick. They aren't so much as portables, more just poor desktop replacements.

Get the MacBook Pro! I can guarantee that you will like it!
I admit they aren't my taste in design, but not all of them are "VERY VERY thick". In fact, they make Ultraportables. You really need to look into things before you just go around promoting Apple blindly.

And if you're putting a $$ value on your personal guarantee for him, I'll be interested to see if you pay up a few months down the road if his MBP starts randomly turning off on him ;)



The fact of the matter is... OS X is NOT FOR GAMING.
 

calculus

Guest
Dec 12, 2005
4,505
4
GFLPraxis said:
Is specification numbers all you look for in a laptop? Personally, I find the ease of use, visual appeal, peace of mind (no viruses), and less maintenance (auto-defrags, less driver troubles, etc) of the Mac OS worth a slight GPU downgrade
This kind of sums up the difference between pc and mac users.
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
vv-tim said:
The fact of the matter is... OS X is NOT FOR GAMING.
I agree with this. MBPs can do gaming, no doubt, and if you undo the factory underclock on the x1600, they actually aren't bad at all. But they aren't specifically 'for' gaming. While you can get good resolutions, good framerates, and descent detail, you're better off looking elsewhere if you're the kind of gamer that wants incredibly high FPS with everything on max.

I'm assuming that a desktop is out of the question; the OP didn't mention it, even though obviously desktops are better for gaming in every regard. Between the two laptops, for dedicated gaming function, the Alienware rapes the MBP. I'm getting a MBP myself because I do a lot of other things besides gaming, but if I just wanted something to kill german infantrymen with, I'd go with Alienware assuming that I had to get a laptop.