Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
are setting a world record in tech of being the oldest hardware still for sale.

And the longest hardware has gone without being updated. Or, God forbid, a freaking price lowering!

Hard to believe that any are still buying them.

Way to go Apple. Thanks for nothing.

Last edited:

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
It is rather embarrassing. They would be better off discontinuing them at this point rather than letting them languish as is for sale.

Reactions: Cape Dave

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
What I don't understand is are simple yearly refreshes in desktop hardware too much trouble for a company like Apple?

It's like they're a small mom&pop shop who has to spread it's small resources into iPhone one year, iPad another year, can't afford people to work on monitors or routers...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Well at least they have now admitted and recognize the problems and we'll be seeing more modular designs in the Mac Pro. I'm rather impressed with their honesty, they even made it sound worse then I thought it was.
[doublepost=1492259596][/doublepost]
That is funny! Thanks for the laugh!

Ironic what happened the day after your post. Can you post this every year please? Its like when you by a whole house generator and the power never goes out again, or a snow blower and it doesn't snow for 3 years.....lol

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Its like when you by a whole house generator and the power never goes out again, or a snow blower and it doesn't snow for 3 years.....lol

Two years ago I bought a new generator and a new snow blower. The power went out for over 12 hours the next day. But I still have not used the new snow blower. ;)

Regarding the Mini, I have not seen any good news about it - they just said it was "important" and some guy posted that it wouldn't be "so mini" on a blog. But if you want a new Mac Pro, maybe there will be one in another year or two…. :rolleyes:

Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Two years ago I bought a new generator and a new snow blower. The power went out for over 12 hours the next day. But I still have not used the new snow blower. ;)

Regarding the Mini, I have not seen any good news about it - they just said it was "important" and some guy posted that it wouldn't be "so mini" on a blog. But if you want a new Mac Pro, maybe there will be one in another year or two…. :rolleyes:

True about the Mini I was mostly referencing the Pro and Apples willingness to basically say they need to do better. It will be a while but I think its going to be the machine many were waiting for. Maybe a return of the tower type Mac.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
True about the Mini I was mostly referencing the Pro and Apples willingness to basically say they need to do better. It will be a while but I think its going to be the machine many were waiting for. Maybe a return of the tower type Mac.
This whole debacle has shown us a couple things...
  1. Apple honestly didn't give pros a first, let along a second, thought in ANY of their planning/pipelining, until SOOOO many real Pros bought the 2015 MBP in response to the 2016 MBP
  2. Apple's admission showed that they had NOTHING in the works for the Mac Pro. Literally nothing, since they have to start from scratch
  3. The iMac Pro is the best they can think of, to release in the nest 6-9 months. Even then, the iMac is already a piss-poor design, due to throttling, for CPU/GPU taxing jobs
  4. Apple was perfectly happy to let Pros leave en masse, even though Macs are the only means to create content for the iOS environment
  5. Up until this announcement, Apple leadership couldn't possibly care less about those who kept the company afloat, during the bad years
It really is disheartening.

Last edited:

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Apple honestly didn't give pros a first, let along a second thought, in ANY of their planning/pipelining, until SOOOO many real Pros bought the 2015 MBP in response to the 2016 MBP
Which in turn suggests there are not going to be major improvements in Mac store. They've either decided to ignore or forgotten about outside developers, except for the major houses. iPhone store and iTunes blight are likely to continue to get worse as well, as they're all sort of hooked together via common interface.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This whole debacle has shown us a couple things...
  1. Apple honestly didn't give pros a first, let along a second thought, in ANY of their planning/pipelining, until SOOOO many real Pros bought the 2015 MBP in response to the 2016 MBP
  2. Apple's admission showed that they had NOTHING in the works for the Mac Pro. Literally nothing, since they have to start from scratch
  3. The iMac Pro is the best they can think of, to release in the nest 6-9 months. Even then, the iMac is already a piss-poor design, due to throttling, for CPU/GPU taxing jobs
  4. Apple was perfectly happy to let Pros leave en masse, even though Macs are the only means to create content for the iOS environment
  5. Up until this announcement, Apple leadership couldn't possibly care less about those who kept the company afloat, during the bad years
It really is disheartening.

I get your point and understand your frustration but without a time machine what else can they do? There is literally nothing they can do or say that would appease someone with the attitude you've chosen (I'm not trying to say that disrespectfully just lack more diplomatic wording).

I actually disagree without a lot of your points since there is no way to prove a lot and pointless for me to debate (I typed out a bunch of stuff and then deleted it a few times) and the 2015 iMac doesn't throttle (maybe under extreme synthetic benches or power bugs) albeit it sounds like a jet engine (which is why I don't have one).

However #5 really caught me off guard. Up until the announcement? They never have and never will, they (like all Super Mega Corp type business) only care about your money.

However that is why I'm impressed. Witness the Osbourne Effect in full force. Just doing it without announcing anything would have likely been a much more profitable bet IMO. A company admitting they are wrong and they are going to change their focus and better products are coming and then announcing that publicly? I still stand by them not actually caring about anything other then the almighty dollar so I assume Mac Pro sales were bad enough that them having an announcement like that wont really matter. Maybe they have enough stock and just want to get it out there thus the price drop.

Reactions: Count Blah

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
If no Kaby Lake Mini this year I will build one this fall after next macOS release and other products for Apple are announced for the 7gen series processors.

I planing an Intel I3 processor with Z270 Mini ITX MB and modeled after this build for my HTPC/Plex server to go with my big hack. I'll be following this guide with the same PSU and case.

http://snazzylabs.com/article/skylake-mac-mini-hackintosh/

Anyone wants to join me at that time I will be happy to help them. I think I can build one for $400 or less. You can use the I5 or I7 CPU if you chose for additional cost.

Of coarse if you prefer a GPU you will need a larger case and PSU.

Reactions: theunderseaclub

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
If no Kaby Lake Mini this year I will build one this fall after next macOS release and other products for Apple are announced for the 7gen series processors.

I planing an Intel I3 processor with Z270 Mini ITX MB and modeled after this build for my HTPC/Plex server to go with my big hack. I'll be following this guide with the same PSU and case.

Anyone wants to join me at that time I will be happy to help them. I think I can build one for $400 or less. You can use the I5 or I7 CPU if you chose for additional cost.

I'll be keen to join. I might go i5, but otherwise same same.

Reactions: Crosscreek

masterbaron

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2012
3rd Planet from the Sun
what i see is no more Mini ... instead 3 versions of the modular MacPro which will represent increased cost for Mini users. Apple no longer needs a segue computer with the Cloud and the iPhone being the new entrance device. There will be more capability with the nMacPro and a crafty upgrade limitation that insures you can't turn the low-end model into a mid-tier model and so on. In the end it might actually be refreshing realizing the Mini is gone and probable there will be at least five years until the issue repeats again.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Ever built a Hackintosh? Definitely doable but sometimes can become tricky to maintain when it comes to proprietary services which is what I at least enjoy the most about MacOS (iCloud services, Airdrop and things of that nature).

If it wasn't for that I would just use a distro of Linux (it's really good nowadays and depending on distro very easy).

Now that MacOS is getting Pascal driver support I'll be very curious to see Hackintosh builds. Elephant in the room though, why would nVidia bother giving MacOS Pascal support without a good reason? Maybe I'm missing something obvious but this could point toward the future of Macs....hmmm

bigtomato

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
I get your point and understand your frustration but without a time machine what else can they do? There is literally nothing they can do or say that would appease someone with the attitude you've chosen (I'm not trying to say that disrespectfully just lack more diplomatic wording).

I actually disagree without a lot of your points since there is no way to prove a lot and pointless for me to debate (I typed out a bunch of stuff and then deleted it a few times) and the 2015 iMac doesn't throttle (maybe under extreme synthetic benches or power bugs) albeit it sounds like a jet engine (which is why I don't have one).

However #5 really caught me off guard. Up until the announcement? They never have and never will, they (like all Super Mega Corp type business) only care about your money.

However that is why I'm impressed. Witness the Osbourne Effect in full force. Just doing it without announcing anything would have likely been a much more profitable bet IMO. A company admitting they are wrong and they are going to change their focus and better products are coming and then announcing that publicly? I still stand by them not actually caring about anything other then the almighty dollar so I assume Mac Pro sales were bad enough that them having an announcement like that wont really matter. Maybe they have enough stock and just want to get it out there thus the price drop.
[doublepost=1492332657][/doublepost]
Their mac pro sales were poor because either the product didn't match consumer needs or too expensive !!

They could have easily updated each year but didn't bother because they don't have to , they are apple and have no competitors for their products, hence, no desire to change

Reactions: Count Blah

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Ever built a Hackintosh? Definitely doable but sometimes can become tricky to maintain when it comes to proprietary services which is what I at least enjoy the most about MacOS (iCloud services, Airdrop and things of that nature).

If it wasn't for that I would just use a distro of Linux (it's really good nowadays and depending on distro very easy).

Now that MacOS is getting Pascal driver support I'll be very curious to see Hackintosh builds. Elephant in the room though, why would nVidia bother giving MacOS Pascal support without a good reason? Maybe I'm missing something obvious but this could point toward the future of Macs....hmmm
I currently have a fully functional hack with Pascal installed.
I have know problems with mine and have fully functional continuity and messaging. I understand some people have problems with iTunes and Apple purchased movies with DRM. I don't use iTunes for movies so I really don't know.

AboutHack.png

Also we don't know what Apple is going to use in upcoming Macs. Will it be Intel or AMD Ryzen so it's to early to make plans for Kaby Lake. Skylake hacks are safe to build but as always Apple could stop hackintosh's altogether with trickery to the code so always be prepared to use another OS. I have 3 SSD's on my build and also have Windows 10 and Linux Mint installed on them. If for some reason Apple ever put their foot down on hacks I have backups to go to.

Last edited:
Reactions: cynics

theunderseaclub

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
Oh wow, that snazzylabs hackintosh build looks great, especially with that case!

I currently have a 2009 MM Plex server, and lookin to upgrade to another Mac Mini, but the 2014 MM are weak, and the 2012 quad core MM are too expensive for how old they are...

I may try to build a hackintosh! I've always wanted to try it. That Streacom case looks awesome as well. I don't need imessage, continuity, or whatever since it'll only be a plex server, but it would be nice to make minor hardware upgrades to it in the future! I probably won't even upgrade OSX on it as long as Plex works okay on it.

Do you have further documentation on your build? Or you haven't started it yet?

Last edited:

bigtomato

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
Do yourselves a favour and switch. Apple has a monopoly and can do whatever it likes, they are gouging people big time and you as a customer cannot do anything unless you switch. Everything is being developed for iOS so switch and just get an iPad if you really need, just think about the applications you use and whether it still worth sticking with apple.

theunderseaclub

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
Do yourselves a favour and switch. Apple has a monopoly and can do whatever it likes, they are gouging people big time and you as a customer cannot do anything unless you switch. Everything is being developed for iOS so switch and just get an iPad if you really need, just think about the applications you use and whether it still worth sticking with apple.

I'm going to wait for their modular Mac pro, since my 2009 Mac pro is due for an upgrade in 2-3 years time. If the Mac pro is indeed worthy, then I'll stay with osx. If not then I may go back to windows.

bigtomato

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
You will be waiting for more than a year minimum if not more. Its a small segment for apple so there is no rush to come out with product. You're holding on to memories....you'll be surprised what you can buy nowadays for $1500

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.