I am clueless - help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sweethellcat, Nov 27, 2007.

1. sweethellcat macrumors newbie

Nov 27, 2007
    I will try to explain to the best of my ability, but I really have no idea what I am even talking about . . . here goes . . .

I have an new imac, but it didn't come with a built in dvd burner. I also have a Panasonic mini dvd camcorder that connects to the mac with a usb cable. When I connect the camcorder to the mac, I am able to view the material recorded on the dvd. I have two problems:

1. I purchased a Sony external dvd burner. The box indicates it is mac compatible, and if I put the mini dvd in it, it will play on the mac using idvd. However, if I try to create a disk image using disk utility, I get an input/output error (I was trying to create a disk image to copy the files to the dvd). How do I get the dvd to burn. Do I have to have a program?????

2. I would like to be able to edit the dvd files using imovie, but imovie won't import the files because of unfilterable format (?). The files are end in _vts, _ifo, and _bup. How do I get the macintosh to import these files for editing?

I know these are probably basic questions, but I have been trying to figure them out on my own for a week and have gotten nowhere.

Please help with either or both questions if you can.

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    does it have fire wire out, the camcorder?
    ps. it'll be a tiny little port like mini usb. and what camcorder?
  3. sweethellcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 27, 2007
    No - I don't think so. It only connects with a usb.
  4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    well the problem is imovie doesn't understand dvd video codec. you'll need to get a converter such as, ffmpegx, that will convert the vob/others to dv if you have the space and i think imovie understands mp4 along with some others.
    go to http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

and read up at the how to

choose dv instead of dvix. these will be large files, 9gb perhour. and it will take time.

also to get them in, copy everything on the dvd into a folder on the Hard Drive, if you want to, kinda silly if you get the dv or mp4.