I am clueless - help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sweethellcat, Nov 27, 2007.

1. sweethellcat macrumors newbie

I will try to explain to the best of my ability, but I really have no idea what I am even talking about . . . here goes . . .

I have an new imac, but it didn't come with a built in dvd burner. I also have a Panasonic mini dvd camcorder that connects to the mac with a usb cable. When I connect the camcorder to the mac, I am able to view the material recorded on the dvd. I have two problems:

1. I purchased a Sony external dvd burner. The box indicates it is mac compatible, and if I put the mini dvd in it, it will play on the mac using idvd. However, if I try to create a disk image using disk utility, I get an input/output error (I was trying to create a disk image to copy the files to the dvd). How do I get the dvd to burn. Do I have to have a program?????

2. I would like to be able to edit the dvd files using imovie, but imovie won't import the files because of unfilterable format (?). The files are end in _vts, _ifo, and _bup. How do I get the macintosh to import these files for editing?

I know these are probably basic questions, but I have been trying to figure them out on my own for a week and have gotten nowhere.

Please help with either or both questions if you can.

Thanks,

Helen:(:confused:

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

does it have fire wire out, the camcorder?
    ps. it'll be a tiny little port like mini usb. and what camcorder?

3. sweethellcat thread starter macrumors newbie

No - I don't think so. It only connects with a usb.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

well the problem is imovie doesn't understand dvd video codec. you'll need to get a converter such as, ffmpegx, that will convert the vob/others to dv if you have the space and i think imovie understands mp4 along with some others.
    go to http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

and read up at the how to

http://ffmpegx.com/videots_divx.html
    choose dv instead of dvix. these will be large files, 9gb perhour. and it will take time.

also to get them in, copy everything on the dvd into a folder on the Hard Drive, if you want to, kinda silly if you get the dv or mp4.