i am confused backing up my dvd's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by floppitydoppity, Aug 20, 2008.

1. floppitydoppity macrumors newbie

i am so confused.
    i am trying to back up my dvds. i have used windows before so its all ew.

i ripped with mac the riper onto Hd- successfull
    compressed with handbrake- ok

but in burning to disc came over a problem.
    i tried Burn, yuburner and simply burns but basicall i havent got a clue what i am doing ad i am trashing all my discs..
    any advice grateful but i haven't got toast!!

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

So using Handbrake makes a compressed copy of your movie. Not for use with most DVD players.

You can usually get burn to make an ISO (DVD Image) of the file again, but back from compressed format will lose a good bit of quality unless you compressed using high settings on bit-rate into h.264.

You just need to find a program that will burn the Video_TS folder to disc for you, or put it into an ISO file to use Burn with.

I know that VisualHub will do this, and it costs (or used too, not sure now) $20....and is well worth the money.

Here's something i just found, not sure if it's still valid, from another forum post...

" http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/dvdimager.html

Takes a VIDEO_TS folder and makes a UDF formatted image out of it. After that, use disk utility to burn the image to disc."

Best,

Brian

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

If you're using Mac The Ripper to rip your DVDs then they should already be in DVD format (Video_TS). I recommend using DVD2one (you can download a free trial) to both compress and burn DVDs after being ripped with MTR.

Another option to rip DVDs is FairMount. You run FairMount, insert a DVD, and FairMount displays it as a mounted disc instead of a regular DVD. This allows you to drag and drop the Video_TS file onto your Mac and then all you have to do is burn it with DVD2one.

It's rather ironic that you know how to back up DVDs on Windows and not on a Mac as I haven't the slightest clue how to do it on Windows but have no problem on a Mac :D

4. floppitydoppity thread starter macrumors newbie

i know. its ironic isn't it/ i could nearlyanything or forum search and slove most issues on windows. inc ripping but now on the mac i am again a newbie.
    i am sure i will get it to work.
    by the way i managed to useburn to write my video ts file and it worked!!(once i managed to work out which opyion i was)

phew!!
    my special needs son needs back ups of discs as he is less than gentle!!!
    just need to sort out backing music disc now...
    :)

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im confused. are you

a) ripping to a mp4/avi file then converting them back into UDF dvd video quality

OR

b) converting to mp4/avi then storing a whole bunch of them onto a DVD?

6. floppitydoppity thread starter macrumors newbie

i want to simply rip then burn to a dvd.

surely i could't fit more than 1 film onto a single layer dvd

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Sure you can! Toast titanium can fit lots of movies onto a dvd.

ripping then burning the mp4s are a great idea you can probably fit 4+ onto it.

8. belunos macrumors member

Not if he wants to be able to play them on a regular DVD player

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i should have explained it better, the first part meant that toast could compress many movies and turn them into DVD UDF format watchable on dvd players. the 2nd part meant well exactly what i said haha