iPad I am confused? Ipad Air 2 - Verizon

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chanesworth, Oct 20, 2014.

1. chanesworth macrumors newbie

I understand that the Ipad Air 2 for Verizon will have a dedicated Sim Card to work with Verizon. Does this mean that if I want to purchase the Verizon version it will only be available through Verizon? Will be able to go into the Apple Store or Best Buy and purchase the "Verizon" version? If you can only purchase it through Verizon I would assume that this is going to minimize the deals that you might be able to get on this Ipad in the future.

Thanks

Craig

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Per the Apple Online Store: Buy it from Apple, then go to a Verizon Store and ask for a Verizon SIM card. Swap it into your iPad, and keep the Apple SIM that was preinstalled.

If you buy it directly from Verizon you may not get the Apple SIM, which would make switching to a different carrier trickier.

3. chanesworth thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ckiggins macrumors 6502

I would buy from Apple so you get the Apple SIM and can keep it for later use, if desired. Like someone else said, if you buy directly from Verizon they likely will take the Apple SIM out altogether and you may not even get it.

Per Apple's store:

If you’re a Verizon customer, you’ll need to visit an Apple Retail Store or a Verizon store to get your SIM.

5. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

I imagine if you order the iPad Air 2 directly from Verizon you'll get the iPad Air 2 Apple sells with the extra sim card in the box.

6. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Entirely possible, but it'd stink to *not* get an Apple SIM, and then find that you can't get one.

7. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Yeah, agreed. But here's the reality though. Apple is telling their customers to go get a SIM from Verizon and let Verizon support it. I don't think Apple will sell a separate SKU ONLY for Verizon's stores to have a SIM card preinstalled.

That would be a huge supply chain issue to carve up a separate unit for one carrier when in the same country you can get 3 supported on one.

I bought directly from Apple, and wasn't given the option to select a carrier, so I'm going to transplant my iPad Air SIM Card into the new one. Then I have both :-D

8. ken4au macrumors newbie

I take it this not apply to refurbs?

9. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

There are no iPad Air 2 refurbs yet.

10. ken4au macrumors newbie

My question was in reference to the Air. Sorry, should posted in another thread.