I am done with iPhoto

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by munkees, Mar 13, 2011.

1. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I have noticed that my iPhoto took up nearly half of my 640GB HD, I had 24K pictures. I did some house cleaning and removed lots of albums to folders on the HD and removed the pictures from iPhoto. After cutting out 18K pictures reducing the library to only 6K, iPhoto still took 220GB, my masters were only 56GB.

I found there was a folder with over 158GB, full of tens of thousands of photos, even ones deleted years ago.

I am now using Aperture 3, thanks :apple: for the good price. I now import folders and keep all my folders organized into separate folders by title. I hated the way iPhotos organized.

it is good to recover so much of my HD back.

I have now taken charge of my images and videos, importing separately, rather than using Aperture or iPhoto, then organizing them, then importing them into Aperture or iMove when I need too.

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Yep iPhoto is pretty lame imo.. Aperture is what iPhoto should have been. But I guess Apple gets a little more money selling the 'pro' editor separately rather than including it in the OS package.

I guess for the average p+s photographer like my mom who doesn't even know that she's not stuck with the pictures exactly as rendered from her camera and only wants to do some light cropping and straightening, it's a fine piece of work. But no reason to save all those duplicate files and hog up hdd space, definitely!

3. digipeter macrumors member

@Munkees, do I understand correctly that you now make use of Aperture to manage "referenced" files: importing iPhoto's existing folders and/or albums?
    Then, how do you organize your hierarchy: years (1999, 2005, 2010, ...) as a 'project', events like travels as a 'folder', a country (for example "USA") as an 'album', and a specific visit ("Yosemite", "Grand Canyon North rim", "Grand Canyon South rim") as a 'sub folder' or 'sub album')?

4. munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

I really never have been one for organizing by year, but rather by places / events.

I did not import form iPhoto, I exported my pictures, then brought them into Aperture.

I now have all my photos kept in their own folders on the HD, and when they get imported into Aperture, I have the preference do not copy files. I will not have nested folders, i want to be able to find my images quickly on the HD, even though this is not that important.

example visit to Yosemite will be in a folder on the HD (in the pictures folder) called "Yosemite". If I got back and take more photos, I will just add them to the same folder, unless there are some good reason to separate them.