Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crysalis

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
I just scheduled my appointment for a sixth iPhone replacement. Heres the story:

iPhone #1 (3G from launch date) - cracked screen within a day of having it. Was NOT (and I swear on my life) a user problem. The iPhone simply cracked while sitting on a table. It was a hairline crack.

iPhone #2 - White casing cracked around volume and vibrate switches

iPhone #3 - white casing cracked around dock connector and light leakage

iPhone #4 - had some light leakage (but I dealt with it). For about a month, the phone randomly would not wake from sleep, rendering it 100% useless until a hard reset was done. Stumped all the geniuses in the store, so it was replaced.

iPhone #5 (just got it today) - VERY bad light leakage. I might as well not even have the casing on the phone its that bad.

Can I get some kind of suggestion on what to do? I take PERFECT care of my iPhones. They were all in a case and NONE have been mistreated or dropped in any way. I called Apple about it and they said go to store. Nearest store is about 30 minutes away, so its not "down the street" when I've gone there 5 times now to get new phones. Phone "genius" has been of no help and refuses to offer new phone of any kind... just replacements. I made sure to buy Applecare for this reason. Any time I mention or ask about getting a NEW phone instead of replacement, they blow it off and talk about how great the replacements/refurbs are (which they are apparently not).

Advice? I'm about ready to switch away from iPhone.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It was a flawed NEW phone that sent you down this path in the first place, so why place any more faith that you're more likely to find perfection in another new phone vs. a refurb phone?

When I worked at Apple (fairly recently), all refurbs (iPhone/iPod) came in a brand new case, with a brand new battery. So even though you're getting a refurb phone, no other customer has handled the case on that refurb before you (in regards to your case cracking issues).

If you're not happy with your local Apple Store's Genius Bar, call the 1-800 number and arrange to ship your phone in for replacement.

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
iPhone #1 (3G from launch date) - cracked screen within a day of having it. Was NOT (and I swear on my life) a user problem. The iPhone simply cracked while sitting on a table. It was a hairline crack.

and you lost me already

glass doesn't just crack on its own

Crysalis

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
see, i know i'm being picky now, but gosh darn if i paid that amount of money for the phone and pay $100/mo for it as well has the $69 for apple care, I think I have a right for being picky. If I have to keep replacing the thing, I might as well start budgeting the gas to go there! lol

I'm not blaming cracks on anyone because I know its an issue with white 3G's. Mine were BIG cracks... to the point where you could take the phone a part by them. My problem with the refurbs is the light leaks. #4 had leaks, but I lived with them because the phone didn't crack and worked great. But then, the sleep problem started. That was the best phone I had until then. After being put through the run around to get phone #5 and to get another bad quality phone, it just iced the cake.

1-800 number will not offer me to send phone in or get replacement. They keep making me go to the store.

and you lost me already

glass doesn't just crack on its own

I seriously do not know. The phone was sitting on a table for an entire day. Came back to it, and it was cracked. The genius bar said possible heat problem cracked it.

schwell

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
You have destroyed enough iPhones. For the sake of our planet please stop.

I recommend two tin cans and string. They come with a very affordable monthly service plan.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
Get a black one

that's probably the best option. those cracks wouldn't have shown up well enough to see them and none of this would have happened.

but otherwise, there really isn't anything you can do about it. it's just bad luck. not to rub it in or brag, but all 3 of my iPhones have been perfect. you might just keep trying until you get a good one

and 30 minutes isn't really that far away. that's how far away my local apple store is. so it's not that big a deal to go there

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Let me get this straight, you have constant light leakage problems, but you don't check your replacements before you leave the shop/mall, let along you drive all the way home?

Really???

I think you can figure out my suggestion. :D

FWIW I don't think the replacements they hand out, which I do believe are new, just not new in box, are fine. I went through a couple of 2Gs with battery issues, and the new ones I got weren't any different from the replacement 3GS I got two months ago.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Did you drag the needle accross the phonograph when you were little?
Did you pull the cassette tape out of its casing?
Have you hit a TV to get it from vertically scrolling?
Did you install Windows on a Mac?

You must have done something to invoke this horrible technology karma. Because, either it's karma, or you. You are the exception to the rule that millions of iPhone users have had NO PROBLEM (imagine Sam Kinison's voice here).

I second the tin can and string comment above!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I have to say, I find it very funny that somehow, the "defective" iPhones seem to seek out certain people like they're magnets or something. It would make sense if EVERYONE had to return their iPhones 5+ times, or if a lot of people ended up with 1 or 2 exchanges. But it always seems like people either almost never have a problem, or end up with EVERY "bad" iPhone ever made.

And wouldn't you think that after the 4th exchange, you'd think maybe it's time to consider a Blackberry or a Palm Pre or something?

Just sayin'...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As others said, check it at the store, otherwise it's user damage.

If heat will break glass, all the car windows will be broken. Note that car windows get hotter than iPhone.

I have to say, I find it very funny that somehow, the "defective" iPhones seem to seek out certain people like they're magnets or something. It would make sense if EVERYONE had to return their iPhones 5+ times, or if a lot of people ended up with 1 or 2 exchanges. But it always seems like people either almost never have a problem, or end up with EVERY "bad" iPhone ever made.

And wouldn't you think that after the 4th exchange, you'd think maybe it's time to consider a Blackberry or a Palm Pre or something?

Just sayin'...

Yup, usually the mystery "defective" iPhones only seek newbies, ALMOST NEVER anyone who can actually produce any real proof.

FYI I used to sell unlocked iPhones, I examined everything before I sell, neither I nor one ever found any problems, EVER.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
As others said, check it at the store, otherwise it's user damage.

If heat will break glass, all the car windows will be broken. Note that car windows get hotter than iPhone.

Not to argue with you, because I agree with almost everything you've said.... but I doubt car windows and the glass on the front of the iPhone are the same type of glass. So I dont think it's fair to make that comparison.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Still baffles me that there are only a few people that have problems with their phones and get replacements... and when they do they get like 5.

Probability here... Some consistent factor between the User and the Phone have to be increasing the risk over other users and their phones... Kinda narrows it down now doesn't it? ;)

But seriously, if I had the problems you've been having I wouldn't keep the iPhone. It's a great device but not worth that hassle.

sfditty

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
While there may be people who return their iPhones time after time because they are too picky, sometimes it's just bad luck that you keep getting bad ones. My 1st gen iPhone was perfect (by reasonable standards). Then I had to return my 3G four times for various common reasons, and the one I decided to keep had a frozen pixel that I would have to press down on occasionally to make go away- I just got sick of taking it back, only to get another problem iPhone. Now my 3GS is perfect (again by reasonable standards). After my own experience, I'm not so quick to assume people who return their iPhones multiple times are necessarily being unreasonably picky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.