Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The new octa core processors in the early 2008 Mac Pros are incredible. The higher bus speed is also quite nice.

I have a ummm late 2006 model. Don't get me wrong. I love the thing and it still has all the power I need. 2X2.66G, 6G RAM, ATI X1900XT, and 10K drives. However when I look at my 4 lonely cores in iStat Pro I feel I should be looking at 8. I have been looking at the Apple store site and drooling over a 2X3.2G octa core with that 1.5G graphics card and SAS drives. I was surprised to see that Apple's price on the SAS drives are about equal to the industry.

I am happy that Apple has left most of the Mac Pro alone and my computer is still a contender. Still I no longer have top Mac bragging rights.

Does anyone else feel a little less with their older Mac Pros?

At least now the previous Intel Xserves will be cheaper. I still need one of those monsters.

freezerburrn

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
La Habra, CA
lol synth3tik, I'm right there with you drooling over the new Mac Pros even though my late 2006 Mac Pro is still adequate for my needs. I'm even tempted to sell mine and get a new one...although it'd probably wouldn't be smart financially.

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
Anytime you buy a high-end new system, there's a time of pride in it followed my a decline into mediocrity and worse.

The new Penryn systems don't seem that radical an advance to me (& I've got one on order!).

If you're going to develop a computer inferiority complex, wait for the Nehalem & see if Intel's hopes for it are hype or substance.

You've got a year to save money for one!

Richard.

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
Take comfort in the fact that you're probably about a year away from Nehalem. Once the MP Nehalem nears, you'll be glad you didn't jump for Penryn.

Easy for me to say, FedEx is bringing me my Penryn MP as we speak! But I'm upgrading from a :eek: PowerBook G4 :eek: The 1.25GHz, none the less. Good Lord! How did I make it this long?!?

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
Easy for me to say, FedEx is bringing me my Penryn MP as we speak! But I'm upgrading from a :eek: PowerBook G4 :eek: The 1.25GHz, none the less. Good Lord! How did I make it this long?!?

Thankfully mine's on order (but not yet shipping...Apple, get with it!!!), but I'm upgrading from an even more inferior machine...a 3Ghz Pentium D (at least it's dual core) with 3 gig RAM ;)

And this is my first Mac - hell of an upgrade, huh? I always say, go with the best!

-Bryan

-Noodles

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Nehalem will be more drool worthy. Overall I'm happy with the specs of the current upgrade, my only nagging regret is the lack of case redesign. Just some black trim maybe even under the handles on the interior lining would have been nice. Perhaps to match the coming updated screens (?) and fit more inline with the iMac redesign.

I suspect that Nehalem will bring the next case revision and with it make us feel like old fogies.

gdieter

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
SoCal
old fogies indeed. I've been holding back on putting in an order for a new MP 2008, mostly because I'm curious what will be announced next week (new displays?), and partly because the boxes are not cheap. But last night I was remembering the 386-25MHz machine I bought for $2100 (no monitor) back in the early 90's, with 4MB RAM and a hugh 100MB hard drive...oh, and that was without the video card, too (I had to have the latest video card and Sony monitor combo)...LOL!

Play4keeps

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2006
lol synth3tik, I'm right there with you drooling over the new Mac Pros even though my late 2006 Mac Pro is still adequate for my needs. I'm even tempted to sell mine and get a new one...although it'd probably wouldn't be smart financially.

:(After reading this im that guy ill let ya know how the new macpro is:eek:

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Nehalem will be more drool worthy. Overall I'm happy with the specs of the current upgrade, my only nagging regret is the lack of case redesign. Just some black trim maybe even under the handles on the interior lining would have been nice. Perhaps to match the coming updated screens (?) and fit more inline with the iMac redesign.

I suspect that Nehalem will bring the next case revision and with it make us feel like old fogies.

Last time I checked...sharpies came in black, :p

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
The new octa core processors in the early 2008 Mac Pros are incredible. The higher bus speed is also quite nice.

I have a ummm late 2006 model. Don't get me wrong. I love the thing and it still has all the power I need. 2X2.66G, 6G RAM, ATI X1900XT, and 10K drives. However when I look at my 4 lonely cores in iStat Pro I feel I should be looking at 8. I have been looking at the Apple store site and drooling over a 2X3.2G octa core with that 1.5G graphics card and SAS drives. I was surprised to see that Apple's price on the SAS drives are about equal to the industry.

I am happy that Apple has left most of the Mac Pro alone and my computer is still a contender. Still I no longer have top Mac bragging rights.

Does anyone else feel a little less with their older Mac Pros?

you had your turn... now it's ours.:D

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006

I hear you. I went from a PowerBook G4 500MHz to a MacPro 2.66! The difference was incredible especially doing video. I had a project that I was working on with my laptop and sections of the video was taking an hour or more to render. The same project on my MacPro rendered in just a few minutes or less. Aside from the rendering speed, I also had a jump in graphics performance. The original G4 had only 8MB of video ram. My MacPro has an X1900 and it was a whole new experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.