I am freaking out, please please help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tsmatthews19, Oct 30, 2011.

1. tsmatthews19 macrumors newbie

I bought a used iPhone and it worked great. It was jailbroken. I went home and installed iOS 5, which also should remove jailbreak if I am correct. Then I proceeded to set up iOS 5, where it wouldn't let me activate my iPhone. After 2 hours on the phone with Apple and a trip to the AT&T store, they told me that my used iPhone had Applecare and that they are sending me a new iPhone free of charge. Now that iPhone is on the way, and then I have to send mine to them so they can assess the issue. The confirmation email I received said that if there is any alteration of the OS then all warranty is voided, thus I would have to pay the fee. I cannot afford that fee, so I just want to make sure that the jailbreak is gone from the iPhone's record, and there is no way they can tell if it was jailbroken. Please help, I can't sleep and am freaking out. Thanks a million.

2. Dnix macrumors 6502

I highly doubt they're gonna know.

They will see the standard iOS 5 installed, and that'll be that. I don't think they will look into it much further.

3. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Was the IOS 5 finally installed? if it was then the JB is gone.

Were you able to at least RESTORE the phone to factory settings? if so then the JB is also removed.

4. tsmatthews19 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys. this makes me feel so much better :)

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Settings --> General --> Reset --> Erase all content and settings --> mail back to Apple worry free.

Nice of the person to buy ac and then sell you the phone.

6. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Just to be 100% sure. U can restore as new. There are many topics here on the same. Whether it activates after restre shouldn't matter to u since they are sending u a new one. Just restore as new an then u are completely tension free.. :)

7. tsmatthews19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much, you made me feel so much better! This whole thing just got me all tensed up and nervous cuz they have a $380 hold on my debit card until I ship it back, a $29 fee if this issue isn't covered by Applecare, $150 if something else, and like all these money figures have me so stressed! Does anyone know how long these things usually take to ship from apple to get to me? He told me 1-3 business days. Is that realistic?

8. tsmatthews19 thread starter macrumors newbie

I also hooked my iPhone up while in DFU mode and reinstalled the update. That would wipe the jailbreak as well, correct?

9. Saileshbreaker macrumors regular

Yes it would :)

10. dotme macrumors 6502a

What exactly was the error when the phone wouldn't activate? It wasn't a "SIM Not Supported" error I hope...

11. nmork macrumors regular

Pretty much what everyone else said. Do a restore and you'll be fine.

For future reference, you can set up AppleCare repairs at your local Genius Bar if you have one - they'll tell you right then and there if it's free or not, swap the phone out for you without a hold, etc. All around a better option if you can make the drive :)

12. Jason black macrumors regular

I guarantee you that they won't even check the phone that hard.