I am going to build my first website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dingo Dave 69, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

I am starting a podcast and want to have a website to work alongside the show. Initially I thought I could use iweb and my mobileme site and buy a domain name and link it to my website. However I have read some places that mobileme websites aren't ideal for this kind of thing so I have been looking at buying a domain and site from godaddy.com however it looks a lot more complicated.

Am I right in thinking I should be using something like godaddy over mobileme? If so, how easy is godaddy to build and edit a website, is it similar to iweb?

Also, is it possible for me to build a website and work on it through various computers or does it all have to be on the same one?

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

GoDaddy and others are just hosting. It's space and bandwidth. You create your stuff with whatever you like (iWeb or something that can export files, or just write the code yourself by hand), and then you upload it usually via FTP onto your server.

3. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

Right so godaddy will give me the web address and the space to upload it? The same as mobileme but with a domain name that I want.

Is there any reason for me to use godaddy as opposed to mobileme?

4. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Just a note about the godaddy free hosting that you get. They place a banner on the top of your site but you won't see on the computer where you login to godaddy. They place a cookie in your browser.

5. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

also would it be possible to create two different websites using iweb. Upload to mobile me and have different domain names for them from godaddy or somewhere similar? Where is the best place to buy a domain name from? Cheers for the replies so far guys, never done any of this before and wanting to learn :)

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The biggest downside of MobileMe is the lack of server side languages. No PHP, MySQL, etc., which would be a pain if you get anything remotely fancy on your page such as a contact form. You'd be limited to only HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

Creating multiple sites with iWeb; In Finder go to ~/Library/Application Data/iWeb and you'll see a Domain.sites2 file. This is your site. While iWeb is closed, rename it to something else, then open iWeb again and you can start a second site. To open the previous site, just go to that newly named file and open it in iWeb.

Check out the stickies in this forum to see various web host options as well as places to buy domain names. Pricing can vary a bit, but you don't generally want to go for too cheap. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.