I am going to throw my macbook out the window (mic)

Brandon Chapman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
10
0
I CAN NOT find, on all of the internet, how to use my Sure SM57 mic with my Macbook. From what i have kind of found is that i'll need a imic (I went out and got one) and thats about all I have now. Please.... I beg you... Tell me step by step how to make this work.

Thank you all so so so much.
 

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2006
254
0
philadelphia
Brandon Chapman said:
I CAN NOT find, on all of the internet, how to use my Sure SM57 mic with my Macbook. From what i have kind of found is that i'll need a imic (I went out and got one) and thats about all I have now. Please.... I beg you... Tell me step by step how to make this work.

Thank you all so so so much.
Return your imic or whatever the f*** you bought. Go out and buy a behringer UB1002 Mixer, an XLR cable, and a RCA (Red and white) to 1/8 inch jack converter. and you can use your mic.
Should cost no more thatn $50 total and give you a lot of expandable recording options.
 

Brandon Chapman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
10
0
I want to do that, but I can't. I have read that the iMic is just what i'm looking for, but i just can't find the right settings for it. I am new to macs and this is not making the switch feel very good.
 

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
1,626
0
Brandon Chapman said:
I want to do that, but I can't. I have read that the iMic is just what i'm looking for, but i just can't find the right settings for it. I am new to macs and this is not making the switch feel very good.
So you want to throw your macbook out because you lack the common sense to connect your SM57 microphone to your imic? Maybe if you looked it up on the manufacturer's website.. they mention that you can connect a microphone with an XLR connector (your SM57 by the way) to the imic's input.. via a Garageband XLR cable.

I can't even tell you how many more problems you're going to have if you keep blaming your computer instead of your brain :D
 

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
1,626
0
FYI.. the macbook is a blessing for musicians.. I've connected my Kurzweil k2500 sampler via an optical cable to the macbook's digital audio in port.. I can record at 96 khz/24-bit.. awesome. If the macbook didn't have that port, I would probably have to spend a few hundred dollars for an optical interface.
 

Brandon Chapman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
10
0
Music_Producer said:
So you want to throw your macbook out because you lack the common sense to connect your SM57 microphone to your imic? Maybe if you looked it up on the manufacturer's website.. they mention that you can connect a microphone with an XLR connector (your SM57 by the way) to the imic's input.. via a Garageband XLR cable.

I can't even tell you how many more problems you're going to have if you keep blaming your computer instead of your brain :D
thank you so much. I was tying to use a XLR to 2/4 jack and then a 1/4 to 1/8 converter and then into the iMic. thanks a lot.
 

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
27,400
12,410
Where is your window? I'd like to hang out under it today as I have nothing else to do. Thanks in advance.