I am hacked. What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by beyond-confused, Oct 13, 2008.

1. beyond-confused macrumors newbie

Someone hacked into my lan or directly into my Mac. They have done something that makes 2 computers on the lan sorta share a an odd connection. Working on the Mac will make programs open and close on an HP desktop across the house and anything typed into the HP desktop.. the text shows up on the screen of the Mac. It's the most bizarre thing I have ever seen. Should I just take the Mac in and have everything re-installed?

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

You can probably change the network settings yourself, or completely delete them and start again. However, if you're neither confident nor practised at computer (LAN) networking, I suggest you get someone in to do it. To the best of my knowledge, you need to create fresh login and admin accounts, passwords etc. I don't know that a clean install of the OS is necessary.

3. beyond-confused thread starter macrumors newbie

I have reset passwords. Secured the lan using WPA. I am wondering if the hacker left some virus? Somehow they made these 2 computers be connected in this odd way. I have 2 other computers on the lan, they seem fine.
    So maybe re-install the OS?

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

No, a virus wouldn't make your computers act that way. A virus or trojan tries to manipulate your system to gather information or to cause system damage. In the Mac world, such things are rare. No, I'd suggest that it's a wonky Network setting that's causing the odd behaviour.

Archive and Install, if you must, in order to preserve all your applications, files etc. Another way might be to delete your Network Preferences, and start again.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Sounds quite like a ermote connection over the lan?

6. belvdr macrumors 601

7. beyond-confused thread starter macrumors newbie

belvdr. How do I consolodate the posts? I agree

8. belvdr macrumors 601

A mod can do it; I cannot. The responders should go post their answers in the other post.