I am happy with my Lg display.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by waloshin, Jul 28, 2011.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

I bought a Unibody Macbook in 2008 and just got a 2011 Macbook air 13" and I am surprised by the screen, it's a Lg and I am impressed, the colours are good and the blacks are amazing.

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes LG is better than Samsung to my eyes.

I have both an LG and a Samsung next to me now. The LG is much brighter and once calibrated, is just as, or more vibrant than the Samsung. I don't know what all this talk is about. Maybe some people like dim screens, or equate them with darker blacks.

I'm just glad I got the LG. :)

3. TheEmpty macrumors member

LG display, Samsung SSD. I'm happy. I haven't calibrated it and I checked all my laptops and desktops (5 screens in total) all of them were calibrated correctly. The MBA clips a few of the colors, but even with all the movie watching I've done on this so far, I haven't noticed. People are just too busy to fine some reason to have buyer's remorse. Shut up and be happy :D the machine is amazing! (First time mac buyer)

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Coming from a unibody mb, any screen is bound to be an improvement...:eek: Glad you like your air!

5. PaulWog Suspended

LG here too, and happy as well. I've pointed out the points I dislike in other posts, but it's to do with both Samsung & LG (the Air on a whole).

But speaking about the screen... it's great! I had thought it was as good as the Pro's screen (based on my visits to Futureshop), but find that in real-light scenarios, it's simply not. So there's some disappointment there. It's always nice to say you have the best of the best. But still, almost as good as the best is still satisfying. :D

6. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

What are you guys using to calibrate the screens?

7. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I used Supercal.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

I use a Spyder3 Elite. It's $100, and works with Windows and Mac. There are ways to get it to work on an LCD TV, as well, but I haven't looked into it. It includes a sensor that takes ambient light measurements and tweaks your calibration.

9. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I am temporarily using a 64/2 as Amazon sent the wrong spec'd computer, but I must say that I am very, very impressed with SSD performance and screen is gorgeous. The computer plays 1080p content very well, Internet is speedy, and encoding with Handbrake was a breeze. I was not able to encode, and play 1080p using VLC with the limited RAM, but it's only 2GB so it is to be expected.

I don't know which screen/SSD I will eventually end up with, but for me the argument is settled, whatever the screen/SSD, especially for the final price I paid, thanks to Amazon's great CS.

10. Tootles macrumors member

11. wolwol macrumors newbie

how do you guys check for display manufacturer?
    any special codes etc?

12. Durious macrumors 6502

spotlight search for terminal and than copy\paste the following:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

LT = Samsung
    LP = LG

13. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

14. drober30 macrumors 6502a

15. squaremon macrumors regular

squaremon

i think people who don't like LG panel is because they don't like the LG logo brand, not the LG panel:D

16. shawnmac macrumors member

Are they both yours (meaning did you get significant time with them both)? If so, what size? We don't have a lot of side by side comparisons on the forums so your input is really appreciated.

17. PraisiX-windows macrumors regular

My 13" MBA with an LG display seems to have something wrong with it.

When I look at this forum for instance the "thread starter" is in a green font on my 22" samsung display, while my MBA displays it as black.

After having "attempted" calibrating it several times, and downloaded a few different calibrations, also with the default setting, I still can't see it in a proper green font, it's black, with some of the calibrations you can SENSE that it's supposed to be green, but it's still blackish..

What's up with that?

18. alau0115, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

alau0115 macrumors regular

Just got my 11.6" MBA today and because of the threads in this forum, I held my breadth to see the SSD and display brands.

When I looked at the display without finding out whether it is LG or Samsung, my guess was mine is a Samsung since I were in the Apple store the other day and happened to have two 11.6" MBAs side by side. One is having LG and the other one is a Samsung. I noticed the washed out colour when the brightness is turned to 100% on the LG one and not on the Samsung. I remember the desktop wallpaper for testing was the one with the elephant since it shows different shades of black.

Surprisingly after using the command line on the terminal, mine is a LG! There is no washed out colour. So I now come to the conclusion that there is still some variances in the quality of the display even from the same brand.

One minor gripe. The LG one that I got seems to have quite a limited vertical viewing angle. Being said, not sure if it differs in the Samsung display.

Anyway, I am a happy customer as I got the Samsung SSD.

So the morale of the story ---

whoever gets their Air, look at the display objectively first, then use the terminal to verify the brand. It makes you feel much better!

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

The one you don't have is the better one. You got LG? Okay. That is a good one because I have a Samsung display.

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

<taps hcho on shoulder>

Dude, I think we're calling the war off, m'kay?

Now, where was I? Oh, yeah...

<pulls out sword>

TOSHIBA FOREVER! DEATH TO THE SAMSUNG SSD INFIDELS!!!