i am having a difficult time deleting files from an mp3 player

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jjbankhead, Feb 4, 2010.

1. jjbankhead macrumors newbie

My System: Mac Mini running OSX 10.5.8. this is a pentium processor based device and i have 1 gb of ram a 60 gig hard drive and using a seagate 1.5 TB external for all my media and documents.

i am also using a windows system keyboard and mouse (i just replaced my old windows system with the MAC MINI)

MY Problem:

I have two mp3 players:

the first one is made by LG (its sold under a different brand name but it was built by LG) the device shows in the finder's "get info" as MS-DOS (FAT32) format and has 4gb storage space.

The other is sold under the Disney brand name the format is MS-DOS (FAT16) it has 1gb of storage space.

I am using each as a USB mass storage when adding and removing mp3 files. I am used to doing this in the windows environment, and i realize that the OSX environment is not the same so i am confused as to how i can successfully delete files from the devices and add new files to the devices.

so far this is what i am doing

1. tether device with USB cable.
    2. open device in Finder window
    3. highlight files i would like to remove then select "move to trash"
    4. select "empty trash" to clear space on device

at this point the finder window will show the space has been freed on the device for me to add new files. when i attempt to do so the device says there is not enough free space to do so.

what am i doing wrong?

please save the "get an ipod" comments. These devices are for my 10 year old and 8 year old, they were gifts they received and i am not going to buy a new device for them.

if you know of something that will help, thanks in advance. if there is a step i may have left out or something i can explain that will help you help me by all means...

I tried to add this to someone else's thread as the help files suggest but have received no help.

2. frodomir14 macrumors newbie

3. jjbankhead thread starter macrumors newbie

no i have not tried either of these two things.

now when i do remove the files from the device and empty the trash the Finder window shows there is free space, would it still do this if there are HIDDEN FILES?

the Disney device does not have a screen nor an option to delete files using the device, it does have to be tethered to a computer to do this.

thanks for your help

4. jjbankhead thread starter macrumors newbie

i followed the instructions for showing hidden files in the finder and no hidden files came up.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You won't get the free space back until you empty the trash.