I am in love with SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jsimon9633, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Jsimon9633 macrumors regular

I had not previously experienced an SSD drive.

I do have a RAID velociraptor 10k rpm set up in my PC but that thing also has Intel 965 Extreme 8 core processor.

I never did get to appreciate what a fast hard drive does to app launch times until now.

I know the RAID raptors are fast but I thought it was the monstrous specs of my pc that made it so.

Now that I have this MBA with modest cpu and 2gb ram but with the SSD. I truly can appreciate it. Every application launches so fast.

And to think this is with an SSD thats fairly low performing.

I have an MBP that I am about to drop a Gskill Falcon 256GB SSD with performance much greater than that of this MBA SSD.

I CANT WAIT!

2. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

ha, thats pretty sweet. The only downside to youtube is watching all the retards argue under the videos.

4. pgharavi macrumors regular

pgharavi

the samsung SSDs in the new airs and MBPs are low performing?

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

The MBA wouldn't be half the Mac, in my opinion, without the SSD. I wouldn't own an MBA if it didn't have the SSD. Thankfully SSD makes the ultra portable ultra fast and fun!

6. Jsimon9633 thread starter macrumors regular

Just compared to other BETTER SSDs.

they are worlds better than most harddrives that arent SSD :)

Trust me, you have to play with one for yourself.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You have made me both curious and envious. The SSD sounds wonderful and I look forward to the day when I have a SSD equipped MBA to supplement my trusty MBP.

Cheers and good luck

8. darrellishere macrumors 6502

I don't have an ssd in my air revision b, although I do in my mac mini!
    I don't notice any slow down with general use, and because I don't do heavy tasks on the 4,200 drive so I can't yet warrant the upgrade on another air!
    At least until a true revision.

The air is designed for light tasks, hens the 2GB Ram.
    I only ever switch between, safari, mail, ical, itunes, and keep it on sleep now instead of shutting down, which dose take ages on a hdd!
    I do edit my RAW images in my aperture library, however their all stored on my mini's ssd, so I edit over wifi, cool ;)

9. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

They are. I got spoiled when I had my 1.8/128 SSD Air so I got the Intel SSD for my MBP. It manages to be even faster then the Air's Samsung drive.

10. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

That strikes me as a little bit of an odd setup. You are negating the SSD's best qualities (access time, and fast random access) by accesing it by wifi.

11. darrellishere macrumors 6502

I like your logic!

I think the point I as trying to make is that the air is great even without the ssd!

12. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

For me I can't justify the SSDs as their storage capacity is so low for the money. Also, the speed doesn't really seem to be a big factor compared to the 7200rpm drives