I am in the bowels of SSD Hell.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gatriel, Oct 10, 2015.

?

If this doesn't work should I take this computer out back and Ol' Yeller it

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gatriel, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015

Gatriel macrumors newbie

So everyone, I am about 2 minutes away from taking my mid-2010 MacMini out into the back yard with my Glock for it to meet it Steve Jobs. Perhaps someone can save it before I take it out back and shoot it.

I have purchased a Patriot Blast 240 Gb SSD (states on the front of the box "Mac Compatible".)

I used SuperDuper! to clone my HD onto the SSD, and while it was plugged in via USB after the clone it booted onto the USB based SSD no problems. I was able to unmount the old HD and I used Drive Sensei to enable trim on the new SSD while booted off the SSD.

This SSD is not on the unsupported list, so in theory it should work. My symptoms are different than most trim related issues. Instead of seeing the crossed circle upon start up, the thing boots like normal -- gets to the half way point (I assume where OSX (10.10.5) attempts to load the HDD kext) and stops. Nothing -- nada -- zilch -- nothing more comes.

I assume this is a kexl problem, which I have tried to disable in recovery mode. It won't let me disable it in recovery mode after I enter this commend

kextcache -u /Volumes/"Macintosh SSD"

It throws this error:

unrecognized bootcaches.plist data; skipping.

I thought -- okay I'll just disable trim and do it manually once and a while. I wiped the SSD and re-imaged it and repeated the steps with trim disabled. Same. Exact. *****. Problem.

I refuse to pay Apple to do what should -- be a simple plug & play operation.

I have attached a photo for you all to laugh at my misery.

EDIT I hit CMD + V and the photo thereof is also attached.

EDIT 2 bash updated it a little bit more. An additional photo is attached.

Attached Files:

2. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Shot in the dark, I think when starting over with an SSD, you need to do a "secure erase". Which you might very well have done. Like I say, a shot in the dark. If not, Google secure erase for your drive and see what comes up.

I wish I had more ideas. Good luck.

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Command + V keys at the same time when you start it up to get a verbose (text) boot so you can at least see where it fails, then perhaps people will have a chance to help.

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Thanks for the screen shot, your SSD is a dud, it happens.It's not your MINI. I wouldn't use anything "PATRIOT",I have always used OWC, ALWAYS, never a dud or a problem, IMO,"bullet proof":rolleyes:, if you'll pardon the pun:D

5. Gatriel thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, before I take this stupid machine apart again -- can anyone add a +1 to the above?

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You could try recloaning the drive using disk utility rather than any other app.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

I think I'd try just a clean install of a brand new copy of OS X on there first. Then, if that works, use migration assistant to transfer your files from the old disk.
    Also, reset NVRAM to undo the changes you've made with TRIM. TRIM is easily enabled without using a 3rd party tool now, and then your system can't break if you upgrade it.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think this is where you went wrong and now it won't boot because it. Reset NVRAM to default and boot back to the old drive. Then erase the SSD and clone the HDD back to the SSD again. Then install the SSD and boot to it. Now run the command below in Terminal enable TRIM then reboot.

Code:
    sudo trimforce enable